Author Topic: Is BOM melting down?  (Read 44040 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Is BOM melting down?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
Sorry Hammertime, but I disagree with your statement about the in-crowd monopolizing the contest. I'm sure there are a few people that vote for bowyers they know but I think most of us genuinely vote for the bow we like the most. I can't tell you how many times I have voted for an excellent bow made by someone I didn't know when my friends had fine bows in the contest as well. I'd say if anything, many voters will take an opportunity to vote for a fresh face if their bow is good and they are up against a regular winner.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
Hammertime, I remember thinking the same thing when I first joined up.  I even made a comment to my daughter in that regard when she asked if my bows would ever win.  My wife heard me and gave me that scoffing sideways "yeah, right" look that wives are so good at giving.  Having  caught the look and not understanding the reason  for it, I asked her "what was that for?".  She got out a few issues and started pointing out things about the winning bows that set them apart and how my bows fell short of the high standard.  I must admit that i didn't immediately appreciate her observations.  Eventually I got to the point where I looked at it from  an honest and unbiased perspective.   Two things happened then.  First I realized that my bows did fall quite short of the mark in comparison to most of the other entries.  Second, I felt a bit guilty about selling the winners short.  So I endeavoured to improve the quality  of my work.  Eventually  it paid off.  That inspiration is just one more reason I think we need to revitalize the BOM.  I think it does encourage many to up their game.  Simon, I never meant to imply that the frequent winners were in any way to blame.  The fact that those few bowyers that win a lot have little competition is a symptom of the problem not the cause.  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:24 am »
Glad someone brought this up, hope it can come back to life. I will say some of the frequent winner NOT posting for someone else to have a chance is not the answer. I don't finish many anymore and did stop posting any for a while because of the same reasons mentioned above but got to thinking that that was pretty arrogant of me to think I was giving someone else a chance by not posting. ??? So now if I ever do finish another I will post it. :) hats, what hats. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:08 am »
I enjoy looking at the BOM , the thought never crossed my mind about entering the contest, which is the wrong way of thinking.  I believe the people winning the contest deserve the credit of winning.  There are a lot of talented bowyers out there like Weylin's with his hollow limb design that bow which by the way is a beauty, Bryce's yew character bow absolutely gorgeous, Simson bows are outstanding, and Chuck with his excellent horn bows, that's just to name a few I know there are a bunch of talented bowyers I didn't mention so forgive me. So for myself I would be honored to be in the BOM contest with these gentlemen.  With that being said I will do my part to support BOM whether it be entering a bow, or by voting.
Northern Ute

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 11:54:17 am »
I'm pleased to see this conversation being had properly.

Josh, your points are tremendously clear and I think valid on each account.  Like rudeness, apathy is contagious. 
I feel your point on subscription should be taken seriously.  At least test it and evaluate the result for a specified period of time?

Simon, bowing out for a time is, in my opinion, the wrong thing to do.  It will only make the problem worse.  Frankly, I think I scrutinize bows from repeat winners more than an underdog bowyer, asking myself is this their best effort?

I had an issue with the contest going back over a year ago and felt burned and haven't entered, since.  I'm guilty of not posting my work and am resolving to stop.  It would be great to see more work being posted/entered by the "leading horses" from the years.  I do not consider myself in this category! ;D

The third point is a tough one and I stand with you on your feelings, Josh, both for the man in charge and the sentiment.  I applaud and respect any and all volunteer efforts but the event needs to be regular, otherwise it loses validity. 

Since we are getting things out in the open, I'll add two things for consideration, respectfully. 

1.  There are moderators on the site that I haven't seen participate in years.  Is it time for a little "new blood" to help freshen things up?
2.  The hats.  I know it is just a hat but it mattered to me and I felt like the one time I won, with little competition, I had to battle to get it.  Is the issue multiple hats out to repeat winners?  Perhaps some clarification needs to be made here along the lines of 1 hat a year to repeat winners?  Should there be a specific person in charge of hats, alone?  This has been a long term problem...

Just thinking out loud and trying to be helpful.  I wouldn't mind being part of the solution, if volunteering time needs to be given, I can make time to contribute to this site that has been so valuable to me for the last 6 years.  It would be time well spent.

BOM is a jewel for the magazine and this issue should be taken seriously.  I've been focusing on knapping but I'm going to put my best effort forward to become an active bow contributor, once again.

Respectfully,

Stephen Parnell

1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »
Apathy, the last bow i entered there were a total of 62-63 votes now i know there's way more members than that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »
I can't tell you how happy I was when I won my first. At the time I had barely any posts, and hadn't yet met a single person on here, and was certainly not a part of the "in crowd".
I gained so much confidence early on, BOM has made me a better bowyer.
When I see guys who enter often, it inspires me to get into the shed and make some shavings.
Id love to see some of the PA regulars entering again.
I've considered backing out and letting others experience the joy of winning, but decided against it.
We need guys like Simson, Weylin, Carson, ect., to set the bar.
I think a lot of bows posted here by noobs could be winners, they just need to enter

Stringman

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 03:30:29 pm »
There have been some excellent comments and insights discussed here. Hope this can become a productive springboard to enhancing the BOM to its former glory.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »
As mentioned above, my bows are not worthy, so I dont enter. I do like looking at the winners though.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:12:15 pm »
I want to encourage more of the new people to post their efforts for the BOM!  I entered a bow once and it didn't kill me, and the comments I got were wonderful encouragement. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 09:37:56 pm »
I think it would be better if everyone would look at it as a way of showing everyone the improvement and share new ideas they were trying instead of going at it like it was a "winner take all" competition.
After all, I don't think you get hats anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 07:07:19 am »
After all, I don't think you get hats anymore.

Is that official or an assumption based on the lengthy and irregular means in which the hats are disseminated?  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:59 am »
I think that is an assumption, I talked to Mike a few weeks back about another matter and reminded him he owed me a hat, he said he had been very busy  ::) but didn't say anything about not giving them at all anymore. :) It's sure not about the hat but I think that has p!$$*( a lot off, I have plenty of them but still want what is promised.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 09:42:15 am »
It is to the point that BOM has become a burden for PA, that's obvious. Let it go away and give them what they want. It is their site and magazine after all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 10:44:39 am »
It is to the point that BOM has become a burden for PA, that's obvious. Let it go away and give them what they want. It is their site and magazine after all.

Is this the case? ???  If so, then they should make it clear.
1’—>1’