Author Topic: Is BOM melting down?  (Read 44407 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Is BOM melting down?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:20 am »
They promised hats in a timely manner over and over and over. It has never changed. In my opinion? Its quite clear they don't give two hoots about BOM or their word, Steve-o.

Id like to retract my earlier comments regarding entering again. I'm out 100% and will remain that way, not that it matters much. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
They promised hats in a timely manner over and over and over. It has never changed. In my opinion? Its quite clear they don't give two hoots about BOM or their word, Steve-o.

Id like to retract my earlier comments regarding entering again. I'm out 100% and will remain that way, not that it matters much.

I certainly understand why you feel that way.  Hmmm.  What to do? :-\
1’—>1’

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 11:45:12 am »
It is to the point that BOM has become a burden for PA, that's obvious. Let it go away and give them what they want. It is their site and magazine after all.
I disagree, this is OUR site, and OUR magazine.  I would hate to see BOM fall by the wayside.  The more "lead horses" we have participating, the more interest it receives, and the more people it inspires. 
Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration PD, and it is sad that they cannot stand true to their word, but personally I don't do it for the hat. I do it because I like the challenge of competing against the best, it makes us all better when we get to see what the true craftsman, and artist are bringing to the table.
"The miracle is, the more we share, the more we have" -Leonard Nimoy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
I wont lead anything I don't believe in or trust in, A-a-ron. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »
One thing I learned while recently at the International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators is that you always get the behaviors you prepare for.  Example: You call your dog.  Whether your dog comes or not depends on antecedent behavior.  Antecedant behavior is everything that has happened leading up to the point where you call the dog. As the dog remembers whether it was rewarded or punished for coming to you in the past, it makes it's decisions based on risk versus reward.  If the dog is ALWAYS rewarded for coming, the likelihood of the dog coming when called is HIGH.  If SOMETIMES the dog is rewarded and other times punished, the likelihood is LOWER.

On the surface, P.A. may be reaping the behaviors they have set us up for by inconsistent rewards.  But more importantly, what are we offering P.A. to get the behavior WE WANT? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:41 pm »
Our participation?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »
what are we offering PA besides buying their magazine and supporting their advertiser's, gee I don't know jw.  My peeve isn't about the hats it's about members not voting and face it how many guys are even on this topic?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
Thank you all for your interesting input! This is a good thread.

Like Weylin I like the BOM and I'm with him, it adds extra motivation to take part. I was here often, maybe too often. I don't want to be a wall for anybody, but I will support the BOM nonetheless.

I think it is good to make a pause for some months. But I promise, I'm here every month to vote for the best!

Simon, Your "Wall" is what all of us beginners need. Every time I think I am getting good, all I have to do is look at the monthly winners. Whether it is Wizardgoat, Simson, Mullet, or whoever that wins, I learn by looking at what you all offer. Some people get discouraged by not winning, but you learn a whole lot more by it. There are many very good bowyers on this site, and all of us with an open mind can learn from them.

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 12:21:09 pm »
As mentioned above, my bows are not worthy, so I dont enter. I do like looking at the winners though.

I entered once and came in second!  ??? You can win, don't sell yourself short.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 12:32:34 pm »
Ok, Last post on the matter. Perhaps changing up the "Prize" would stoke participation. PA could get with the advertisers and set up a prize of a "Gift card" for the winner. If I won a "Gift Card" for 3 Rivers, chances are I would spend more than the amount of the prize, its a win-win for the magazine and the advertiser. It could be a sponsored article every issue. Imagine the "Bingham Projects, Backed Bow of the Month" Or "Twin Oaks Bowhunters, Self-Bow of the month"! For a small advertising fee they can get an extra plug, as well as a guaranteed purchase from their site, and possibly a return customer. Worst case scenario is they have someone come and spend the money on the gift card, and nothing else, but to me, it is very unlikely.  I have entered once, and came in second "I think" and my bow was a turd. But I at least lost to someone who no doubt crushes my skill (Simon). I'll step up my laziness and throw a few at it here soon.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »
Folks, let me say first I'm glad this thread is still running and more and more chime in.
Second I have no problem to go back in the second row, really! Everything is ok, don't worry Doc, JoJo, Weylin and others. I just make a pause for some time and watch what is going on.
Third, I don't think we should talk about hats – when needed let's do that in another thread and adressed to the right people at the PA Mag.

Let me suggest to come back to the intended item: how can the BOM, or let's say our BOM vital again. There were already some good points said – let's continue. I would like to hear the thoughts others, those who were here and left for what reason? I remember there wer 20 + here per month!
I'm struggling with my English, so it is a bit difficult for me to express my thoughts – but I can follow this conversation. Thank you.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 01:23:47 pm »
Please don't take a back seat. You work is amazing to look at, and you deserve to win. You at the very least, deserve to participate.

Offline simson

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:25 pm »
Please don't take a back seat. You work is amazing to look at, and you deserve to win. You at the very least, deserve to participate.

Jo, I will go on posting on the 'Bows' section. You will see what I'm doing.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Parnell

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 01:59:03 pm »
I don't want to get caught up on the hat thing but Josh's initial statement about apathy should be considered.  What message is sent?
What it represents is being a part of something larger, and in that way, the hat is significant. 

This is why I'm going to volunteer some of my time to help, if wanted.

Cheers, everyone. 
1’—>1’

Offline derrick morgan

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »
i just found out about your website simson, i'm hyped!
i was just listening to a derrick morgan song when i registered. my name is stefan.
i live in tyrol/europe.