Author Topic: Hickory backed ERC  (Read 5048 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hickory backed ERC
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 09:58:03 pm »
GB....If mine makes it it'll have same braced profile.Hav'nt decided on what I'm gonna finish it with yet.I figure it to be a target bow mostly.Yours looks deadly with those  limbs with those narrow tips.I'll agree with ya about red elm.The red elm here I think is junk.I like winged elm though Oughta try that once.It's as hard as hickory.Too bad it does'nt grow here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GB

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 10:54:22 pm »
I'd like to try a different species of elm someday.  The lumberyard I go to usually has a few gray elm boards, but I haven't found one nice enough for a bow.  One of the guys on here has posted a lot beautiful, wicked looking elm selfbows.  I hope they aren't red elm, 'cuz then I'm really going to feel bad. :)
Thanks again, guys.  It means a lot coming from this group of bowyers.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:02 am »
That's a good looking bow. Job well done.
Northern Ute

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:49 pm »
Great bow, well done!

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 10:14:52 pm »
I really like that bow. Nicely done.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 06:29:01 am »
Beautiful bow, very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:34 pm »
I do not understand most of what you said but the bow is elegant and really looks like a performer.

Chief, when you make a laminated bow, you either start with a backing, a handle/riser block, and a THICK belly lam (so you have enough thickness at the handle to form fadeouts, so the handle block won't flex and pop off),     OR,  you use a backing, a THINNER belly lam (less waste) and place a short lamination, tapered on both ends, between the backing and the belly.  This sort of builds the middle up, stiffens it so it acts as a fadeout, and you can glue the handle block on.  That has come to be called a "power lam".  It's usually only about 1/8-3/16" thick, and tapers to paper thin gradually.  It might be, say, 14" long if you plan on a 10" handle, and the handle is usually sloped into fades, too.

A full lam would just be another thin full length lamination between backing and belly lam, again to save expensive/hard to find belly wood, or just for looks. 

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »
I've seen that. I think it is very appealing to go with it's usefulness. Thanks for the explanation, Springbuck.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 04:04:28 am »
Dang...this is a nice bow really!
Frank from Germany...

Offline GB

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 12:07:11 am »
Great explanation of the power lam, Springbuck.  I probably make mine longer than a lot of guys do and probably longer than I need to.  The one on this bow was 32".  I just like the smooth transition you get with a longer taper.  But this is only the second one I've done and I'll probably experiment with a shorter one next time I make a lam bow.  Figuring the thicknesses of the lams with all the different backers and belly woods available and how to get the profile you want is always interesting to me.
Anyway, thanks again for the kind words guys.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »
Your bow is exceptional !!! I have a ERC stave that was given to me back in Michigan in 2012. I have not known what to do with it, but now with your hickory backing you got me thinking. I have been concerned that it is too dry being out here in Arizona. John