Author Topic: Weight forward?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Weight forward?
« on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
Fishing here in the PNW, I use whats called pencil lead it comes in 1/4" & 3/16" I was wondering if you guys that use cane / boo and put weight in the front of your arrows, could use or would be interested in some of this? I use the 1/4" for fishing but can get some 3/16" if you would like. this lead is super soft and flex able.  the pic is of 1/4". Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Weight forward?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:34:51 am »
The natural taper of most cane give you a weight forward situation as it is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:05:39 pm »
PatB, I agree with you on that fact that weight is forward on them. But there is a call for weight forward or we wouldn't see things like wire wrapped around shafts on this site. I'm just offering a substitute weight for people that may want it & not know it exists in this easy to use form. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 04:57:05 pm »
You wrap your arrows with that?  :o

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »
Ed is referring to this thread here and the arrows wrapped with wire to make them heavier to make up for a light bone tip. The pic is of 1/4" but he's talking about using the 3/16" version to go inside a shaft.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56169.0.html

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »
Sasquatch, I do not put any weight on or in my arrows other than my point. I have seen a few posts about either wrapping or inserting weights on this site. when I seen my fishing lead last night it got me to thinking, and had an idea. I thought I'd toss it out to you guys, anyone looking to add weight to the front of your arrows. I thought it would be a real easy to drill a hole 1/4" or 3/16" and insert the weight. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 11:16:17 pm »
 Sorry bud it's been thought of.

Rocks light, I been adding weight for 17,18 years.  Heck CROOKETARROW once told me he learned as a kid to drill out the center pit and old peices fence. He said he did'nt know but the IROQUOIS they'ed done this for a lone time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:33 am »
Sorry bud it's been thought of.

Rocks light, I been adding weight for 17,18 years.  Heck CROOKETARROW once told me he learned as a kid to drill out the center pit and old peices fence. He said he did'nt know but the IROQUOIS they'ed done this for a lone time.

Sorry for any confusion, I'm definitely NOT trying to claim I thought of putting weight forward. all I'm saying is i seen this lead in my tackle box and wanted to share the information with anyone that might want to or does use weight forward, that this kind of lead is out there. I was thinking that this may be an easy thing to use weight. its soft can be cut to any length and simply inserted into the shaft with a per-determined hole drilled. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
Ed, I've never used lead but it would work just fine. I started using weight forward design maybe 8-10 years ago with carbons when I was shooting mostly fiberglass backed bows.

Since "progressing" to selfbows and now using only wood and bamboo/cane I've used inserts to increase the forward weight on some of my older 60-75 spine shafts to decrease the spine enough to shoot from my 45-55# bows. I did this on woodies by drilling out the center and installing nails.

I've used Woodie Wieghts externally and nails as inserts. The biggest problem I've encountered is keeping total arrow weight at acceptable levels. There is a point of diminishing return in utilizing FOC with non center shot selfbows. Too much total weight really shows up at even 20 yard distances.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 04:17:59 pm »
  Lead wire is all I've ever used.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING