Author Topic: Australian Eucalypt bow  (Read 21440 times)

Offline ryder

Australian Eucalypt bow
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:55:03 am »
Hi, first post. I'm from Darwin Australia and about 8 months ago started to develop a serious interest in making selfbows. I bought a copy of the TBB series, and have been having a crack at making board bows for the last few months.

The first few were with wood from the local hardware store, which was pretty terrible. Darwin is a somewhat remote city with very poor choice and variety for woods, so my only choice was Durian. Turns out, its terrible for bowmaking and i broke 3 during tillering. Made one kids bow that works well but its a 20" draw and light poundage.
Did the standard wood bending test from the book on the wood and the best numbers came out as 16.6lb - 3" - 1/4" - 3.5
But, I learned a lot from it and moved on.

Next, I found a timber merchant who sold a bit more variety and found an ok Jarrah board. Grain was running on a 60 deg angle from the back, but they had so little choice I took it. Tested it and it came out as 18.1lb - 3" - 1/4" - 3.5. Not great, but having bought it I gave it a crack anyway and made a 70" long flat bow that was 2.5" wide, and drew 45lb at 30" (I have long arms) To my surprise it shot fairly well, and lasted about 200 arrows before starting to lift small splinters on one side of both limbs along the back. It hasn't broken, but I have retired it for now. It was a very pretty bow, again, I learned a lot from it.

I was hooked after this one! Feeling the bow that you made come to life in your hands for a second, sending an arrow you made flying towards a target, hard to explain but I felt like it scratched an itch in my soul I didn't know I had. Bit dramatic perhaps, but anyway, I really liked it. That bow got a LOT of attention from all the compound shooters at the archery club too, think there might be a few potential bowyers there  :laugh:

So I went back to the timber merchant, and had a look at their spotted gum. They had one warped piece that had a good grain, and was long enough to cut a straight bit from. Got it home, cut a 1/2" x 18" test piece, set that outside in the high humidity here for 3 days then tested it. It was terrible. It came back pulling 20.5lb at 1.5", and snapped at 2" without taking a set. I don't know if that is just what spotted gum is like, or if that board had been baking in the Darwin heat for years and was ruined. Either way, I didn't waste my time trying to make a bow from it. It was upsetting though.

After that, I decided my intro into bow making by using boards was over, and it was time to get serious. It was time to cut my own wood. But what tree to get? There's very little information around on what Australian woods make decent bows. In America and Europe, there is a long history of what local tribes used in times gone by, but here the bow was never invented. A few people know some good woods, but there's very little data on the internet. People say 'some eucalypts', but there is 700 types of Eucalypts that grow here. Besides, most of the people who have built successful Eucalyptus bows don't live in the tropics and probably haven't done so using tropical grown woods. So, I just decided to have a crack at it, borrowed a chainsaw and went tree hunting. I figure if I fail but still learn something, I'll be better off than when I started.

So I found this tree, I *think* its some variety of bloodwood. Which is technically considered a type of Eucalyptus. Looked straight with no twists.

Chopped it down and split the log. Took it home and put a bit upstairs in the aircon away from the humidity to dry. The one at the back is the log in question.

Realised I messed up, and did not cut a shorter log for test strips :( had to sacrifice a quarter log to make test bits out of. Cut some up on a bandsaw and let them dry for a few days.

Did a test on them, and they came up pretty good. I think the test bit was fractionally more damp than it should have been though. Tested at 28.3lb - 4" - 1/4" - 4.5". That said, at 4.5" it didn't *really* break, it just lifted a splinter from a sharp corner. The wood was still intact otherwise.

Based on that, I have roughed out a stave to just over 1 3/4 inches and 70" long (length to account for longer draw). The stave is still green, as I cut it down only a week ago. Its drying in the heat of the car at the moment.

Sapwood being shaved off

Stave hacked to width with a hatchet]

Edges cleaned up with a plane

belly roughed out close to size

That's where it's at the moment. Too wet to work much further and may warp if I do. Once its dry I'll do the tips and try to correct a slight twist, probably in a week or two. Like I said, I'm still very new to bow making and have probably made a heap of mistakes, and this may not even make a successful bow. But if it doesn't, I've learned a lot and enjoyed myself :)

Very interested in hearing peoples thoughts and/or advice!

Offline chamookman

Re: Australian Eucalypt bow
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:26:16 am »
Welcome to the site ! Looking good so far. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 05:20:32 am »
Very interesting post :) It make me appreciate the timber I have access to in the UK... mind, you have all the funky animals ::)
You are obviously going to enjoy it on here.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:16:10 am »
Great first post!

You know you have yew in Australia though right? ;)

Offline ryder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:34:26 am »
Thank you :)

I haven't heard of yew over here? I mean, I know you can buy saplings as a hedge plant but I don't think there's much growing wild? Would LOVE to be wrong about this, my dream bow to make is a 100lb+ English longbow!

I've heard there's some Osage Orange growing wild in Victoria somewhere, but that's 3,800 km (2,300 miles) from here, so it's not what you might call easy to obtain

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 06:42:52 am »
Seems like you have the bow building bug for sure ryder. Look forward to seeing how that stave works for you so keep us posted
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline oldrank

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:35 am »
Welcome to the site. Gonna be following this build. Kinda puts a new perspective on bow building. Where I live it takes me a few minutes to find a good stave n I have a variety of woods to choose from. I hope that bow zings an arrow.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 04:37:34 pm »
what varieties of eucalypts do you have?

Blue Gum   - Eucalyptus saligna (or globulus?) is suitable for bows (I am told..not first hand knowledge, a friend made a D longbow a few years back)

there is this post from Paleo too on Oz woods.

I see there is also Eucalyptus camaldulensis (redgum) up Darwin way. Atlas of Living Australia. one of the woods listed in the above link.
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:53:33 pm »
Cool story! I'm glad you persevered through many broken bows. It really puts into perspective how much we take for granted being able to walk into the backyard and grab some hickory, mulberry, or Osage here in the Midwest US.. I can't wait to see the end product and hope you find a suitable species to pursue!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »
nice looking first bow, and welcome to the forum. I am sure that some oz bowyers may have some good advice for wood choices, but not every recommendation may grow that far north. If you are into looking at trees and saplings, have you researched the woods of choice in PNG?

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/EHU/PapuaNewGuineas-BowsandArrows.pdf

Offline ryder

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:06:11 am »
Blue gum grows down south, there is some red gum up here. Will have to try some! Thanks for the links.

I feel certain there are many great bow woods around here, will just have to discover them.

Having an issue with the stave as it dries ATM. Its developing some small cracks along the back :(
Evidently, I should have sealed the back.

Will try superglue in them and seal the back with varnish perhaps, hopefully it's not too late?
Reckon I'll get away with it?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 12:20:15 am »
Welcome to the forum....That should do the trick.If you don't like the looks and it's thick enough you can chase a few more rings off.Every stave I prepare like that gets sealed with something.I use shellac because it dries pretty fast.Usually wider than thicker can help from sideways warpage but if it's gonna warp it's gonna you know.It can be corrected with the heat gun after roughing it out.
I feel as though you might have something there with that eucalyptus/bloodwood stave there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 01:52:26 am »
Those checks in themselves are not a problem but it looks like your layout runs at an angle to them. Your layout should be following the grain, forget straight lines if there is a wiggle follow it.
However it shouldn't be a problem if you are lucky ;) For now get some shellac, pva glue or similar on that back and slow down your drying. If that is Bloodwood you are onto a good start it costs a lot of money here in the UK.
Good luck to you :)

Offline ryder

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 05:00:36 am »
Yes, i know the layout isn't perfect :( I angled it slightly to avoid an end check in the stave. Thought at the time when you consider how much the grain runs off the edge on pyramid bows without issues it should be alright? Thinking now it may not have been a great idea :(

Pretty sure its a variety of bloodwood, not red or pink bloodwood but maybe swamp bloodwood. Apparently theres a few varieties around.

It's now sealed and drying inside for a week, will assess again after that. I'm quite inpatient to have a bow again!

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 08:15:46 am »
I can quite comfortably promise you that there are some superb yew forests in Australia (and NZ for that matter - probably more of it in NZ come to think of it) and quite a few bowyers out there making some really nice warbows out of it. 

You've got a mix of Irish yew (t.fastigiata) and English yew (t.baccata) in Australia but obviously it's a big old country and I wouldn't know where to suggest looking!  I'd recommend getting in touch with some Australian bowyers and seeing if they can help you out!