Author Topic: Australian Eucalypt bow  (Read 21439 times)

Offline papy56

Re: Australian Eucalypt bow
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »
Thank you for the excellent information and story. Its inspired me to make a bow of eucalyptus here in San Diego, California, USA

Offline ryder

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 01:34:17 am »
Thanks for the kind words :)

I think anyone living in Australia would benefit greatly from the bend test, knowing how wide to make a bow from a wood of an unknown quality, or even if it's worth the effort, could save a lot of time and heartbreak!

I definitely want to make one of these bloodwood staves into a backed bow, and have been seriously considering making my next bow a shorter, sinewed bow. This particular wood seemed to break in tension not long after it took a 1/4 set on the bend test, but bent more than standard before taking a set. I reckon it may be a good candidate for sinew.

I'll have to check out the east coast of NSW for osage next time I'm down there, will only be living in Darwin for another almost two years. Very, very interested in getting my hands on some of that!

Having a look around for one of those Shinto rasps, ty for the tip! The rasp i used on this was a cheaper one, but this wood blunted it pretty badly just making this one bow! Not going to lie, was strongly considering getting out the orbital sander for a while there and using that.

Papy56, good luck with your eucalypt bow! I'd love to see that when it's done :)

Ok last pic - bow all finished.

Finished weight is 55lb @ 29", 69" NTN. Made a string for it and have shot 50 500 grain arrows through it with no issues except my aim. Follow is 1 1/4 immediately after unstringing. Finish is gloss varnish, which i regret - wish I'd used a more traditional animal grease.
Grip is a simple string grip, nothing special. Only used it because that's what i had.

Off tomorrow to go shoot at the club 3D target round, where i will get to give it a proper workout somewhere thats not my backyard!

Thanks again for your help gents, I hope to return the favour to someone else who is just learning someday.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
   Seal the back and ends of your stave. You'll stop wind checking.

Do this or your stave will seasoned without the wind checks.

I'm perty sure there's yew there also.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline GB

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 03:10:12 pm »
Congratulations on making a fine looking bow!  I'm another one who really likes the Shinto rasp.  No clue on how they fare with the wood in your part of the world, but they hold up well against the hardest American woods (osage, hickory, and hard maple) I've used.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline cadet

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 08:56:21 pm »
That's turned out really well.  Well done.
Shinto rasps can be had off ebay cheaply enough; I'm also going to have a play with a dreadnought file soon.  Many Australian woods tend to be hard, heavy, and full of silicates which can dull softer blades in a real hurry.

I'm perty sure there's yew there also.
Feel free to throw a dog a bone and give us some more clues...! I'm bemused that the British and American bowyers know there's supplies of yew in Australia, but the Australians can't find it...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2016, 11:15:54 pm »
Outstanding first stave bow ryder!  I enjoyed your post and predict lots of bows in your future.  I think you have identified a good bow wood in your area.  A stave that stands up to a beginning bowyer's tillering and yields a good bow with under two inches of string follow is probably a good indicator that exceptional bows are possible from that type of wood.  The color is beautiful.  I wish I had some of it growing around here.  A farrier's rasp is my favorite tool.  It has a course side for hogging off wood and a finer side for shaping.  A knife makes my favorite scraper.  I have an old Glock field knife that I filed a scraper edge on one side that is one of my most used tools.  Welcome to the addiction.  :D 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi