Author Topic: Finished ocean spray arrows  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Finished ocean spray arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 05:42:02 pm »
That's not cheating.....I glue them on and then wrap them all the time ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 08:55:22 am »
Tracker, it's hard to tell the height from the pic but the fletchings look fairly tall. I always have good luck quieting mine down by trimming down the height.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 10:43:33 am »
They are tall. I figured I'd need more help if the shafts weren't spined right but have since cut them down to about normal height.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Green

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 07:08:47 am »
Nice work all the way around Dylan.  Good luck on the Turkeys this Spring!

I like the advice of cutting larger diameter and then planing/sanding through the kinks.  Sounds like a solid plan.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:30 pm »
Nice arrows!

Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
Those look sweet. I hope you are successful in taking a gobbler with one. I have some shafts drying for building later this year:)
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline loon

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 06:08:14 am »
Very nice. Cool points too.

Where do you harvest ocean spray? Public/random land? How long do you let them dry? Do you leave the bark and seal the ends with wax or something while drying? Or would you leave the leaves on it?

I use hide glue + wrapping for fletching.. ..

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 04:21:44 pm »
Public, private with permission, or any grey area(like below high water mark on the river). I cut em long and let em season for as long as I feel. These ocean spray were about 5-6 months. Bark on. Leaves shaved off. Bundle and thrown in the spare room.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 10:50:47 pm »
Great looking arrows. I normally straighten Ocean Spray while still green bark on. Might go over each shaft 4  or 5 times before it is dry, then debark, and using minimal heat fine tune all the kinks. Only then do I block sand to remove the remaining high points.
You did good on that set, come next Turkey season you will have fresh feathers for new arrows.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 11:24:00 am »
Nice arrows, nice pictures. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your quest for a gobbler.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise