Author Topic: aiming  (Read 9146 times)

Offline jayman448

aiming
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:14:05 am »
here i go again with all the info gathering. haha. does anyone shoot with one eye as if shooting a rifle? what would be the pros and cons to this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: aiming
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:12:42 am »
I keep both eyes open for binocular vision and depth perception.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:14:37 am »
I keep both eyes open for binocular vision and depth perception.
+1

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:48 am »
Closest thing to aiming I used to do was hold the bow so I was sighting down the shaft then draw to below my right eye. Both eyes open always though. Seen guys do the one eye closed when shooting like that though.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:02:16 am »
I sight by looking where the arrow will go. I am not conscious of the bow or arrow as far as sighting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:16:01 am »
+1 re both eyes open for depth perception reason.
On the other hand .... if you're right-handed, but left eye dominant, may need to close that left eye. That describes me, but have learned to adjust sight picture so can keep both eyes open.
Experimentation will show ya correct path for you.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
Eye dominance doesn't matter for instinctive shooting, for actual aiming it might.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
yep.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »
Aiming? What's that? lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 05:05:17 pm »
I aim to please only!  8)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 05:50:46 pm »
I am not conscious of the bow or arrow as far as sighting.

After how many barley pops???  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:18:26 am »
+1 on what Pat B said.Everyone can be different I guess.You have to find your style on your own.Maybe go to a shooting range and watch others.I'm sure though you'll get all kinds of different advice there.I knew of someone who was a long bow shooter and was a pretty darn good shot instictively which is what I wanted.Both eyes open.Some people can pick it up quickly while others have all kinds of problems.I don't know exactly why that is.I think trying to make it too complicated is no good.It is a lot more mental than shooting a gun though.
Personally I come right to my chin that's very close to my anchor and stay focused on what I'm aiming at and good things usually happen.Repitition I think puts my minds eye in automatic mode and if I come to anchor good things happen.My mind has to be free of everything besides what I'm focusing on.No expert here at all just more persistent than smart.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 09:12:41 pm »
I was taught from a very young age by my father to shoot with both eyes open no matter what weapon im using.
Steve Bennett

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 08:54:47 am »
I have a friend who has won the IBO Worlds several times with her longbow.She is a split vision shooter like Howard Hill and closes one eye when she shoots. Her explanation; " I have less information to process that way".

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 10:09:30 am »
I shoot both eyes open with a bow and left eye closed when shooting anything with a sight.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good