Author Topic: Stupid Texas stupid untreated stupid rock  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Stupid Texas stupid untreated stupid rock
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
Been loving my obsidian and feeling like a good knapper so I decided to play with some Texas rock I had found. It's stupid. Dunno what it is but it bent my notching tool. A horseshoe nail. Stiff side bent. Arthritis has now developed in my elbow too. But, I made this and got it sharp using stringmans methods.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline le0n

Re: Stupid Texas stupid untreated stupid rock
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:18:10 pm »
it can wear you and your tools down if you don't treat it.

we treated some last month and i still can't get it to work. so i've put it aside for now.

by the way, nice work on that one.

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:23 pm »
Might be tough as dino turds, but looks sharp! And pointy!! Get a new horseshoe nail, I hear ya got a few extra.  >:D  8)

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:52 am »
Be careful saying "Stupid Texas" Ole Sam Houston will rise from the grave.
It looks like you have some pretty nice Edwards and if you heat it up you
won't be bending all your Obsissian tools. lol >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:40:35 pm »
bending all your Obsissian tools. lol >:D
Zuma

That's pretty funny Zuma..

I like the point, maybe a good trade for some easy to work NC rhyolite is needed.... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »
It takes a lot of practice to learn what you can get from a horseshoe nail and what you can't get. Practice makes better. They will do a lot, but they won't do everything. That point looks well made and sharp. It will outlast a pile of obsidian points. Most Texas rock is tough as a turtle's back till it is cooked, and even then some of it is difficult. The benefits are durability and variety in colors and texture.

Don't get down on Texas. It beats the socks off most places.

WA

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »
Looks like a darn good hunting point to me. I do cook mine up in a turkey roaster to tame it down a bit.  I like Texas rock. I try and bring a couple of 5 gallon buckets of it  home when we go out west for the winter.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 06:30:51 pm »
I need to go visit friends and get more rock. And chase some hogs! I didn't like Texas while I was there but thinking back on it I just didn't like what I was doing there(tasked to assist the stupidest unit in the army get ready for a "deployment" to fort Irwin. As I was out processing!). But if I took the army parts away it was a lot of fun and everyone is so much nicer! Get more public land and I'll come back.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.