Author Topic: Thanks Joe!  (Read 3079 times)

JacksonCash

Re: Thanks Joe!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 12:50:33 pm »
I like walnut too. The last bowl was some tropical hardwood I got from a clearance bin, it was really tough. Lignum vitae is pretty tough too. Osage turns surprisingly nice. I've got some sycamore that I need to play with yet.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »
Those are really great man! That walnut is gorgeous, favorite of mine except when grading for three days straight. It's to bad 8/4 is as thick as we cut it or I could get you some blanks

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 12:54:23 pm »
Picked up the blades this morning and I can tell you they are truly fantastic as is usual for Scott's work.  I feel bad that I came out on the long side of this trade.  Will figure some way to even it up some.  Sometimes a fellow just gets lucky.  Thanks< Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 04:21:57 pm »

Man those, are really nice.  I just recently got an Excelsior midi lathe, with free bed extension.  I haven't gotten to play with it as much as I would like, but it is a really nice unit, quiet, and very vibration free.  It is just sitting on my bench at the moment, till I make a stand for it.  I don't have all the tools I would like, as they want your first male child for them!  I have a mini carbide set, meant for pens, and a full size set, made in China, but they sharpen up fairly well, and do the job that I am capable of.  I am thinking of trying to make a small bowl out of some of the fire wood that I cut.  I may just cut a small section of log, and see what kind of trouble I can get into.  I don't have any calipers yet either, so it will just be by eye.  All I have made so far, is a small billy club out of a piece of red oak stair rail newell.  Didn't do too bad, but I wouldn't buy if I saw it on a table somewhere. ;D  Being as how I could do that bad myself. :D :D  I am only able to make a little over nine inch wide bowl.  It says it's a ten inch, but then state that you can only do a little over nine inches.
But you do some very nice work, both knapping, and turning.  Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »
Glad ya like em Joe, you apparently have forgotten how generous you've been to me over the last couple years. I can't tell you how much I value the friendships I've made from the guys on this site and yours is at the top of the that list. Give us a look at that knife when ya get it made up.

Wayne the lathe sounds like a great starter lathe and is exactly the same size as mine. My neighbor is letting me borrow it and a few of the hand tools that go with it. There might be a chance of me buying it in the future but meanwhile I'm having a ball playing around with it. Ive been looking through the woodturner mags dreaming about which tools I need to buy first, but so far I'm just bare bones.