Author Topic: Hello from Washington  (Read 7530 times)

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
Hello from Washington
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »
Hello everyone! my names Aaron Agent (but you can call me phyankord or phyan). I am 18 years old (coming on 19 this april) and I live in Ferry County WA in the iddy bitty town of Republic. I Joined because I was looking for a location to talk with a socialize with people who engage in primitive archery (I found the site when looking for the rules regarding stone arrowheads in WA).

I plan on becoming a Primitive archer in the future, and my goals tward that end have had me begin with learning how to knap flint (if you want to see my disgrace of a first attempt arrowhead I made out of a glass bottle bottom you need only ask xD), my ability to begin knapping was because of my hunting friend who shot a deer last season (last few days of it) which he managed to bag a 2 by 4 rack which he willingly gave to me.

im exited to learn from and talk with all you guys n girls that have done this stuff for years (oh the knowledge that you must have!)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Washington
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:18 pm »
Welcome Phyan. We have a lot of knowledgeable and generous folks around here. Speak up and ye shall receive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »
Itty bitty republic! Haha I'm up in Malo man! We'll have to get together if you wanna learn flintknapping. I have some obsidian and tools you could use.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline phyankord

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:28:53 pm »
Itty bitty republic! Haha I'm up in Malo man! We'll have to get together if you wanna learn flintknapping. I have some obsidian and tools you could use.

thanks, sometime then.

I have to wait for the rest of the snow to melt off before i can look for chert or hammer stones in my area, there is this nice little creek on the west side of the town (granite creek) that i was going to last year (before my hunt for knappable rock began) and i think it is gonna be a really good spot for hammer stones and possibly chert to go to after the snow is gone. (you wouldnt happen to know of any areas around us that happens to have stones laying around?)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:11:18 am »
We have to travel for rock. I make the drive to glass buttes in Oregon for obsidian. There's petrified wood and different agates towards the cascades. Joining the Puget Sound Knappers is a good idea, I'm joining soon, haven't yet due to procrastination but it's 600 members from the northwest. Awesome people the ones I've talked to and super helpful. I'll shoot you a pm more about it
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:24:49 am »
welcome ! I'm in Ilwaco, WA. Come to the Glass Buttes Knap in! March 19-27 ish.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline phyankord

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:33:27 am »
welcome ! I'm in Ilwaco, WA. Come to the Glass Buttes Knap in! March 19-27 ish.

ide love to but i cant go that far out, at least not at the moment ;)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:34:52 am »
Hi Phyankord, I live in a little town on the Wet side, welcome to this nasty addiction.
start collecting turkey feathers, they'll be good for trading stock for some rocks. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:45 pm »
It's about danged time you found us!  Welcome!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline phyankord

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:05:58 pm »
Hi Phyankord, I live in a little town on the Wet side, welcome to this nasty addiction.
start collecting turkey feathers, they'll be good for trading stock for some rocks. Ed

good idea, ill look into it!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:19:13 pm »
keep playing with glass, its easy to get and free. I found, with my eyes anyway, that colored glass is easier to see what your working on. it gives great practice before you start making gravel. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:20:32 pm »
I agree with Ed keep playing with glass and if you get stone and ruin it try to make anything you can from pieces that won't make anything that way you've got nothing to lose and you can figure out tricks to work though pieces. This can become addictive if you don't get frustrated it's really relaxing😊
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise