Author Topic: Yew bow crack around a knot  (Read 6551 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Yew bow crack around a knot
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »
Very true!  This one (if I think it's OK) will go to somebody I know, and I will be making sure they're aware of its limits.  It's a great little bow already at 27", I just need to make sure it's safe to around 30" for safety margin.  Otherwise it will stay on the wall.

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »
never sell a bow that has issues,, :) or that you have to cross your fingers  ;)

Or even give it away. The only way you can likely get it to the  owner with a clean conscience is say that you are throwing it out since it's not safe and put it out with your garbage and have him pick it up there. Free.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »
I agree. I would not sell it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 04:16:25 am »
'Glass bow guys do it all the time'. Is that right? All the time? Why would a glass bow get a 'check' or 'crack' in it? It would have to be a mightly badly made bow by someone who doesn't understand even the basics.
Please explain the physics of why a wrap won't help stop a split getting worse. I'd love to hear some more pearls of wisdom.

mikekeswick

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:30 am »
I know i'm going to try it on some arrows.....a hole right below the nock slot and of course no wrapping to resist the splitting forces....man i'm going to have me some beauty arrows  ;)  ;)