Author Topic: PHOTOS: Altun Ha ruins - Mayan Eccentrics - Chert Run  (Read 17359 times)

AncientTech

PHOTOS: Altun Ha ruins - Mayan Eccentrics - Chert Run
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
Warning:  Post includes "photos"

Flintknappingdom's most honest and heavily banned flintknapper at work.  Lol!

Nice color, but too many inclusions....

Here is some of the stone, subsequently worked, in a raw state:

Tine flaking:

Drift cylinder flaking:

Thanks to the Altun Ha ruins, this chert run was probably one of the most enjoyable that I have ever undertaken!

Offline turbo

Re: PHOTOS: Altun Ha ruins - Mayan Eccentrics - Chert Run
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:32 am »
Thanks for the pictures, very cool to see, love the eccentrics and blades. As for the chert run, wow! You got some nice pieces. I especially like the dark/red/banded variety. What's the name of that chert? Wouldn't mind to have lots of that.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:38:33 am »
Super cool. Could not believe the size of those pieces once you put your hand in there for perspective. Truly nuts. Killer looking chert too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »
It would be interesting to watch some folks work on reproducing some of those very large eccentrics! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:35:04 pm »
WOW! Thanks for the photos. I had no idea those pieces were that big until you added your hand for comparison...amazing

That rock reminds me of "Mook"  or something like that. Must be nice to just drive down the road and pick up good rock...LOL
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

AncientTech

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:41 pm »
Chipped Celt via hammerstone percussion

AncientTech

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »
Checking Rock at hotel:

AncientTech

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 04:32:09 pm »
Thanks for the pictures, very cool to see, love the eccentrics and blades. As for the chert run, wow! You got some nice pieces. I especially like the dark/red/banded variety. What's the name of that chert? Wouldn't mind to have lots of that.

Hello Turbo,

I am glad that you like the images.  I actually have more...

The chert is called Colha.  It was widely traded in Mesoamerica.  The Chert Bearing Zone (CBZ) is incredible.  I have been told that there are seven colors of chert.

You can share this with your friends.  My work is banned on pretty much every other forum.  But, you can see it here, on "Primitive Archer".

I split my rock with a friend.  But, in the future, I will probably be able to recover more.  What I hope to isolate are pockets of chalcedony.  I found some pockets in the past.  It is translucent, to clear amber, and is extremely glossy, near the rind.  It is probably agatized coral. 

A.T.

AncientTech

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 04:33:44 pm »
Super cool. Could not believe the size of those pieces once you put your hand in there for perspective. Truly nuts. Killer looking chert too.

Some of the eccentrics are massive.  My guess is that much of it was done with hammerstone percussion, given the thickness.

AncientTech

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »
It would be interesting to watch some folks work on reproducing some of those very large eccentrics!

People in Texas could probably reproduce the big eccentrics fairly easily.  They are thick, and heavy.  They appear to be the work of hammerstone percussion, for the most part.

Also, since they do not involve extensive thinning, it seems that coarser, blockier chert will work.

A.T.

AncientTech

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 04:38:56 pm »
WOW! Thanks for the photos. I had no idea those pieces were that big until you added your hand for comparison...amazing

That rock reminds me of "Mook"  or something like that. Must be nice to just drive down the road and pick up good rock...LOL

The size is surpising. 

The site is located about five hours from my house, in Tulum.  It is three hours to the border, and another two hours to the site.  It is a nice drive, on a country road, from Orange Walk, Belize, to the site.

As for the rock, I sent a few pieces back with an archaeologist, a few years ago.  And, someone picked up two or three nodules from him, and paid $200 dollars.  All of the material was semi-translucent agatized coral, or chalcedony.  Some of it is probably comparable to Knife River Flint.  The trick is getting the good stuff off of the cores, because the cores are actually quite pithy.

I will have more photos of the stuff.

A.T.

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 05:17:54 pm »
Looks like an amazing place to visit. 
One day I hope to travel to many Mesoamerican
Sites. 
Look at that flint.  Love the color.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

AncientTech

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 07:16:30 pm »
Looks like an amazing place to visit. 
One day I hope to travel to many Mesoamerican
Sites. 
Look at that flint.  Love the color.

Tower, it is easy to visit Belize, from Cancun.  I have been in Belize about fifteen times.  The chert bearing zone is about 1.5 hours from the Mexican border. 

Going back to 2005, or so, I have always told the flintknapping people that if they come down, I will take them there.  This last visit was with a friend who is a retired pharmacist.  He has been interested in Mayan culture for about thirty years.  He showed me a glyph that he said has been interpreted to mean "flintknapper" in the Mayan language. 

A.T. 

Offline le0n

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:33 pm »

^^ this.

at first i was like: "cool. wow, that's some tiny writing."

then i was like: "whoa!"

hah hah.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:57 pm »
That piece on the suitcase is beautiful. Like to see a big point made from it. Thanks again for the pictures. Makes me want to vacation in Belize.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes