Author Topic: Antlers  (Read 21326 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Antlers
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »

I  arrowed a bunch 3 and 4 year old doe's. I also killed a 7 1/2 and a 8 1/2 year old. That 81/2 was killed with a stone point at 6,7 yards. She came to a fawn call.  She was really poor I could see all her ribs.

How are you aging the does?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 08:24:26 am »
With that many deer around you...you are blessed.How do you account for that?Habitat?
Personally here I like to see about 8 to 10 does around me here to have fawns.Knowing they'll stay here through the summer and in the fall  there will be some bucks looking for them to shoot at.I watch the fawns run around here with their moms.I've come up on many a fawn bedded down.Even petted them.Kinda cool.My girlfriend likes to take pics.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 12:32:38 pm »
:)

Funny thread cooking here. It seems we have a biologist or two in our midst.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 01:02:49 pm »
A naturalist to be correct.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »
   Beadman my granddady was a naturalist. And I've been called that a few times. Beadman as soon as I rent,lease,live on or what ever farm or peice of land I get. I do 3 things (1) I stop shooting any bucks that's not 3 1/2 or older. (2) I make lay out snakurys, buck bedding areas.  Inhance (FOOD AND THICKEN) bedding areas add minterals add everything a buck that are need in his bedding arer.3) Get a number of deer you have on your probertyand the number of doe's that have to die. If I let you hunt you shoot no fawns period. It could be a button buck I might kill  5 or 6 years from now.

I never go in the sunkerys period. Bucks learn real fast when and where there safe.  Sankurys and bedding areas are the heart and soul to my buck hunting. 90% Of my buck hunting is hunting bedding areas in the evening.

That last 20 min's. Is my time I'll bet you I've arrow 25 ish bucks at O DARK 30. Those last 20 min's. I also let a few walk in the dark

I hunt evening at bedding areas. Why (1)
you already know where he's at ( you have a know place to start from). Not hard to figger out where he's going. DOE'S OR FOOD  You just have to set up with the wind at right time of the rut. Also set up close enough to him so he'll get to you in the daylight.

Add a 1000 other that might help you get a shot off if your lucky.

I START A MANAGMENT PLAN FOR THAN LAND. And I stick with it. I'm a firm beleiver in inhanceing (food,water)whats already there. No need to plan food plots when there's corn,beans,alfa on 3 sides of me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:42 pm »
 For that coment earlyer. Never shot a deer in my life with a light. Never needed or wanted to. Thats for PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO HUNT.

Someone said how do you age does same way to age bucks AND IT'S NOT WITH THE ANTLERS.

If you dont know I can't tell you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:05 pm »
So you are saying you can tell the difference between a 7.5 and an 8.5 year old doe before you shoot it? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:16:21 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 06:34:51 am »
The only way I know you can age one  fairly accurate is by their teeth on raise them from a fawn, by  their teeth you will need to have them on the ground dead or knocked out most likely to have them cooperate with  you.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:25 am »
Don't forget to tip your waitress, I'll be her all week! ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 12:43:42 pm »
The problem is, people "Learn" things from their families. And take it for the stone cold truth. When it really is just "Bro-Science". I fall into this category myself, and it has been hard to realize that my family really didn't know what they were talking about, and re-learning the correct information. Being self critical and never stopping learning is a good thing.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.