Author Topic: Photos: Chipped stone celt - Hammerstone percussion  (Read 4821 times)

AncientTech

Photos: Chipped stone celt - Hammerstone percussion
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:52 am »

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Photos: Chipped stone celt - Hammerstone percussion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:02:05 am »
Nice axe....Got that one stack on the left side. Seems like there is always one stack that wants to make things difficult..LOL
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

AncientTech

Re: Photos: Chipped stone celt - Hammerstone percussion
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »
Nice axe....Got that one stack on the left side. Seems like there is always one stack that wants to make things difficult..LOL

Yes, I could not beat that stack.  Lol.  I showed the piece to a Mayan friend.  He was so amazed that he was wide-eyed.  I think he likes it even better than the arrowheads.

While sorting through Colha, I came up with an idea.  Use the coarse stuff that is really dense, and blocky, for axe-type stuff.  And, use the finely grained stuff that flakes really well, for the finer stuff.  I actually ran across some notes, a few years ago, which suggests that knappers at Colha did this, themselves.

So, instead of trying to make a point with the grey stuff, I simply stuck with making an axehead.  And, I was even able to stick with hammerstone percussion, all the way through.

That being said, the finest stuff seems to be the "skins".  So, instead of working nodules down into arrowheads, it might be better to strip the surface, via spalling, use the skins to make arrowheads, and then work the core into stuff like axeheads, celts, etc.