Author Topic: Friction Fire Discussion  (Read 9454 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Friction Fire Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:07:44 pm »
Yup, they work slick Ed. It makes the hand drill much easier and a bit less abuse to the arms and hands.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »
 I need to try that Ed. ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 04:27:47 pm »
That's not what I was thinking you meant, Ed. I did see that on one of my survival shows. Very cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 01:37:36 pm »
Been using the hand drill method for a while now. I live in the Sierra Nevada's and I like to use elderberry drill and buckeye hearth. Using elderberry hearth/drill and buckeye with buckeye works good too.

First off practice and practice. Two things I look for: (1) the right sound; (2) dark black charcoal dust build up:

(1) there should be a sound of sandpaper on wood when your drilling. Sometimes the drill can get polished up from use. Scratch it up real good to get a good grip between hearth and drill.

(2) if your not seeing jet black shavings, STOP- your just wasting your time, you will not get an ember. Smoke will still be present, but no coal.

Also, its like playing a guitar at first. Expect blisters!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:47 pm »
wstanley, when I get that burnished polished look on my hearth or spindle I just put a little dry grit or wood ash in hole and next I hear and feel that sandpaper scratch sound  that I,m looking for. I used to use pine pitch on hands but have now discovered nice dry wood ash works for down pressure grip and causes a lot less blister even under callous. You are right no black dust no coal. I try and get a coal 2 or 3 times a week just to keep my hands tuff, At 71 yrs old you know the rest of me is bad ass tuff ;D :o (=) Bob

Offline wstanley

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 04:47:41 pm »
That's awesome Bob48. I try to at least do it once a week like when I'm getting the grill started! Fun topic to discuss and hear other methods!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:15 am »
anyone ever tried the fire thong? I seen this on a tv show the other day.

very difficult to find proper material if you dont have rattan