Author Topic: Atlatl Presentations - Missouri Archeological Society  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Patches

Atlatl Presentations - Missouri Archeological Society
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:40:02 am »
The Missouri Archeological Society is presenting a panel discussion on atlatls this weekend in Springfield, Missouri.  It will be a the Ramada Oasis on Glenstone.  For Directions and other information, please go to the Missouri Archeological Society Webpage, under membership, under annual meeting, and click the registration button.   I am not going to be able to attend but I wanted to post this for anyone else that is interested in atlatls.

Here is a list of some of the topics and presenters:

The upcoming MAS Annual Meeting (April 2) will feature a panel on "The Atlatl, Modern and Ancient Use" with presentations by professional and avocational archaeologists. This panel was inspired by Eric Smith's successful deer hunt last year, using an atlatl tipped with a modern reproduction stone Clovis point.
1- "The Atlatl Renaissance: Opportunities for Sport and Science" —Ron Mertz (World Atlatl Association, Missouri Atlatl Association)
There has been a growing interest in the atlatl for target competition and hunting over the last 30 years. The speaker will provide a brief discussion of the importance of the atlatl in human history, its recent revival, and opportunities for research by scholars and practitioners.
2- "Atlatl Hunting Tactics" —Eric Smith (MAS)
Being the first person in modern times to harvest a deer using an atlatl and dart equipped with a stone point (Clovis replica), the speaker will give a description of the equipment used as well as the basic rules of ethical hunting. The speaker will then discuss tactics for a successful atlatl hunt, covering the advantages and difficulties of both stalking and ambush hunting, followed by a brief account of his recent success.
3- "Comparisons and Findings: Breakage Characteristics of Martens Site Clovis Points Compared with Those of the 2015 Deer Kill "Clovis" Point" —Richard Martens (MAS)
This study began with the analysis of point breakage mechanics, including determination of the point material characteristics as well as the applied forces and moments. Determination of the material characteristics, which were not available in the literature, required some “basement” testing. This analysis led to some surprising results. The Martens site provided a significant number of broken and complete Clovis points for this comparative study. Ten points, broken in the bending mode, were used in the study. Two points from other nearby sites were also studied. The characteristics of these points were compared with those of Eric’s point. The hafting characteristics of 12 complete Clovis points were also studied as a basis for comparison with the broken points. Eight of these were from the Martens site; four others were from sites 1.6 to 11.5 miles away.
This comparative analysis of broken and complete Clovis points and Eric’s point, along with comments from Eric, provide some surprising insights into the hafting characteristics of Clovis points.
4- "The Bannerstone: A Game-Specific Atlatl Accessory" —Larry Kinsella (Cahokia Archaeological Society)
Bannerstone function has been discussed and theorized for decades. In this presentation, I hope to lay out a common-sense approach to the bannerstone functionality issue. Using my abilities as a carpenter, experimentalist, atlatlist, and hunter, I will suggest the premise of the bannerstone being used as a game-specific atlatl accessory used for harvesting white-tailed deer. I will present ideas about bannerstone construction, distribution, archaeological evidence, and placement on the atlatl.
5- "Sticks with Stones: An Experimental Test of the Effect of the Atlatl Weight on Atlatl Mechanics" —David Cain (U.S. Forest Service) and Elizabeth Sobel (Missouri State University)
Archaeologists debate the effects of the atlatl weight on atlatl performance. Experimentation is well suited to resolving this debate, but has not produced replicable results due to the use of human atlatlists. We addressed this problem by constructing an atlatl launch machine, which provides unprecedented experimental control. We used the machine to launch several hundred darts, and analyze the results to test the Range and Precision Hypotheses of atlatl effect impact. The results indicate that compared to the unweighted atlatl, the weighted atlatl typically has a lower range, but greater precision. These results help resolve the atlatl weight debate and contribute to our broader understanding of atlatl mechanics.
6- "Atlatl Symbolism and Evidence for Clovis Use of the Spearthrower" —Juliet Morrow (Arkansas Archeological Survey)
Clovis people hunted mammoths and other megafauna. There is surprisingly little information on just exactly how they hunted these giant mammals. Based on its earlier presence in Europe, some assume that Early Paleoindians hunted with spearthrowers. The oldest known atlatl component in North America is from the Warm Mineral Springs site in Florida where a shell hook from a spear thrower was found. A quantitative method using velocity-dependent fracture features on fluted points verifies that Clovis hunters did employ atlatl technology. Aside from being a tool, the atlatl is also symbolic. The purpose of my presentation is to briefly highlight some current research on these issues of form, function, and meaning.

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Atlatl Presentations - Missouri Archeological Society
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
MAN!  This is something I would drive hours to get to and it is literally going to be held 4 minutes from my house - - - on a day when I'm OUT OF TOWN!!!  How do I get so very unlucky!!!???  :( >:( :-\

OneBow