Author Topic: Rattan bow's for my two niece's!  (Read 4270 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Rattan bow's for my two niece's!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:31:06 pm »
Nice work!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:28 am »
Thanks buddy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Dmead

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:19 pm »
Patrick those look killer man! Beautiful family too. Haha can you recite the words to Frozen yet? Thanks to my little girl I know most of the movie word for word lol ridiculous.!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:14:07 am »
Any chance you can describe some more details about how these are done, I happen to have access to plenty of rattan and think this would be fun to make a few beater/loaner bows. You say you split it in half, rough out the handle, hack in some pin nocks, what else? Do you round off the flat side where it was split, is there a particular cross section shape to go for? I see you said you tillered it with a belt sander so am I right in assuming the tillering on these is more or less about sanding the thickness taper so it bends right? I've never made a bow before but this sounds like it would be kinda easy especially considering the lower expectations of the finished product as opposed to trying to make a "real" finished selfbow, if you know what I mean.

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 10:00:29 am »
I've even seen someone make Turkish-like bows out of rattan... with static recurves.