Author Topic: wild black cherry arrows  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Runningbull

• I replicate Lakota bows arrows and quivers.
wild black cherry arrows
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:35:11 pm »
Has anyone had any luck with black cherry for arrows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: wild black cherry arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:14 pm »
I've made arrows from black cherry shoots but I had trouble keeping them straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Runningbull

• I replicate Lakota bows arrows and quivers.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:03:16 pm »
Did they seem brittle or were they pretty strong?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:01 pm »
They were strong enough and maybe with a long seasoning and tempering they would stay straight...but that is just a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:11 pm »
Been wanting to try black cherry myself too but hav'nt.Try it once.I know black walnut makes good shafts providing the grain is straight.It all depends on what you want for spine,length, and mass weight.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:04:05 pm »
I love Cherry  for shafting !
Need to get me some more been playing with other things and should just give it up and go back to Cherry.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »
  I make cherry arrows 4 or 5 years ago for someone. I used shoots 4 years old. I'd made cherry arrows before in the past. Use seasoned shoots I've never had any problems. Fairly heavy, strong even spline.

SDomething a lot of people don't see in the shoot shafting.

I have a few dozzen cherry seasoning, along with a lot of other shoots. All shoots are better arrow materal after seasoning. Longer the better for all I've made arrows from.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 11:51:53 pm »
Well now I'll get some cherry for arrow shafts then and try them out.Hav'nt heard what the spine,thickness, and mass weight is on them though @ say 30" long.I'll make them from 3/8" square stock tough.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 06:25:30 am »
I harvested these yesterday while turkey hunting. I straightened one while wet after scraping the bark. The other I have not straightened. We shall see. One of them cost me a turkey. Pretty high price for an arrow shaft.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 04:36:04 pm »
Watch that they don't check, RID. I keep the bark on all hardwood shoots until the dry some, except sourwood. I've never had a sourwood shoot check no matter when I cut it or if I strip the bark right away or wait.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:07 am »
Thanks Pat. I checked the dogwood and cedar and an unknown I cut last year and there was checking on the ends so I took them out to the patio and cut off the ends. They look good. I had plenty of length so no problems. I will let these cherry season the same way and check them after thoroughly dry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15:47 am »
The ones that checked on me checked down the length of the shaft.   I've heard you can leave the last inch or so of bark on both ends and it will prevent checking but I've not tried it.