Author Topic: Bighorn Sheep Bow  (Read 15868 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bighorn Sheep Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 12:02:57 pm »
Strong little devil there generating 55 to 60 pounds.You got it tamed down and looking good though.Now you could shoot that one from the chest with a finger pinch type knock release correct?Did you keep any track of grains of sinew/thickness/horn thickness etc. too?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 04:46:24 pm »
Thanks again guys
Beadman- sinew was about 2.5-3oz, not including the handle wrap or tips.
About 1/3 sinew thickness.  My horn started around 1/4", maybe a bit less. I removed some horn during tillering so it's hard to what my final horn thickness it.
I'm working on a couple others, one is 39", I'm hoping to get 24" draw from it.
The other is 32" one piece, I followed the dimensions of the crow one from the encyclopedias, it's so much thicker than this one!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:06 pm »
Yes I understand about the horn thickness question.I thought you guys did that all with heat?.....lol.Just joking.That's a lot of busting sinew for sure.Did'nt that sinew come out to at least 1/4" thick then?Good luck on your future bows.Look forward to seeing them too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 05:51:24 pm »
Haha tillering horn bows can be scary when you read some advice out there. A combo of heat and horn removal...but how much of both I wondered?
Maybe close to 1/4" sinew thickness near the centre, then taper off a bit.
I used to really hate dealing with sinew, but it's grown on me.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
Yea I still sometimes can't seem to leave sinew alone yet either.Just because if used properly it's like the organic fiberglass of primitive bow making really.Most I've ever busted up is maybe 3 ounces at a time.Maybe applying 2.5 or so ounces of it.Thing is it's good to bust up a little extra because I always seem to use it up yet on the bow or somewhere else.
You must have a lot of waste then like me.I've got to make glue out of that yet.Been using Fiebings rabbit hide glue for my sinew jobs.Adam Karpowicz warns of oiliness of it but I hav'nt had any problems with it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline uwe

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »
Well done! I like those short bows. Would  like to name one my own!
Regards
Uwe

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 12:48:19 pm »
I love that bow congrats can't wait to see the next one
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline jevans33

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 04:13:21 pm »
excellent!!! newbie here, only made 2 primitives so far, water oak, 1) beacause i cut it down from my property 2) because i dint want to waste a good hickory blank/stave on my first go at it. now i have the process down, and have a good design in my head, and i know its going to work, i have a 40 ft hickory tree, about 16-18 across, that needs taken down this summer.  but my goal, the reason im educating myself on the primitive archery is to one day build a bow like this. this is "the bow" in my book. its my favorite type, and you did a very, very good job. wish you would had made a video so i could see how you did it. i dont feel comfortable enough to invest in the horn. and most videos ive have watched leaves me with many questions. if anyone knows of a book, video link, or a nice set of instructables, i would appreciate a link. hey im just starting out, forgive my ignorance, but i am a good study. again, you have created a beautiful bow

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:27 pm »
Cheers guys,
Jevans33- I did this bow as a build along a few topics down
on this page. Check it out, these bows test your patience, but are very rewarding

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 08:05:38 am »
Very nice.  I bet it's a handful pulling 60# at such a short draw
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com