Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 5301 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Alone again.
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:55:05 am »
  Anybody hunting gobblers yet. Our season starts here a week early er this year. Our youth seasons SAT. 16 th our regular seasons the 18 th.

Or am I alone again like most gobbler seasons. No one I know of around here close to me hunts with a self bow nor has in the 23 years I've self bow hunter other than my friend Crooketarrow. Him and BRIER my 16 year old son. I've been gobbler hunting since I was 8 havn't missed to many days in the springs thats passed.

I first self bow hunted the next spring after I made a bow in the fall of 92 to buck hunt with. Hav'nt missed a spring.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »
My traditional opening day hunting site, the one I call One-two-eight Ridge, is utterly devoid of birds.  I scouted it by parking along the highway under the cliffside access (access is a bit of an exaggeration) just before dawn and didn't hear any birds.  The guy that owns the private land adjoining this tract of Forest Service stopped and gave me an earful.  Apparently, about a week ago someone hiked up, jacklighted the birds in the tree in the dark and shot a bunch of them, leaving them to lay.

Yeah, I am impressed with their ever so strong, hairy chested, manliness. (I wonder how their short, tiny little hands could hold onto a gun, much less reach the trigger, or even how their tiny little delicate feet could have carried them to the roost site).
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:14:08 pm »
Our season starts in a week.  I will probably try to get out for a bit - fall turkey season is really my favorite though, probably because my calling stinks!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:16:56 am »
The first bout of permits start in Michigan today. We got quite a bit of Snow Yesterday, and 'sposed to rain and blow today. Me thinks it will be a tough opener. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 12:16:21 pm »
Ours starts up April 27th this year. I am trying to get my work schedule cleared up enough to go...

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »
Season opens tomorrow but I won't get to be out till Sunday. Got permission for a spot with lots of hens(lots for around here being a dozen or 2) and the gobblers have been flowing in the past few days. 53# Osage recurve with now wenge tip overlays and timber rattler skin. Ocean spray arrows with obsidian tips and goose fletchings. Sinew and pine pitch holding the arrows together. Not a single power tool used for any of it except my heat gun to get my recurves in.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:11:35 pm »
I will be in texas turkey hunting on the 18th for a few days,, will let you know how it goes,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:03:23 am »
Been hearing the gobblers here but can't seem to get them close enough yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 12:32:03 am »
Had one at about 8 or so yards... He never looked away from me till he got into the woods! Then today had 3 jakes, a little Tom, and a BIG Tom all come to me. Long story short, I missed the shot when they spooked. Didn't realize how I was kneeling ruffed up my ghillie into my string! Gonna try just calling instead of spot and stalk then calling. Might bring my 3 year old!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.