Author Topic: Shooting to the right  (Read 5580 times)

Offline DC

Shooting to the right
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:09:39 pm »
After a few days off due to rain. I went out and shot my usual 72 arrows. I was using the same bow, same arrows but now most of them hit about 6" to the right. Three days in a row, still to the right. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shooting to the right
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »
Aim 6" to the left!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:56 pm »
I've been doing that :) I'd hate to retrain my old brain and then find out what I was doing wrong and then have to retrain it again. It's about that far from being wore out and I don't want to waste any :D

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »
Right left misses consistently would bug me too. My thought would be cant the bow more than normal and see what happens. If you are a straight up taget shooter I would make sure I was not canting a little.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »
I am a target shooter and I do cant a bit but I always have. I don't think I've changed that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:03:32 pm »
Right impacts can mean a weak spine. If your arrows were "on the edge" to begin with simply drawing the bow 1/2 or 3/4" farther will weaken the spine enough to cause right impacts. Just a guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:03:01 pm »
That's a thought. I have been working on my anchor point. I'll rumage through my pile of arrows. Might have to make some heavier. The last couple of times out I have just held the bow with my thumb and forefinger. That seemed to help a bit. Maybe I'm torquing the bow. I have a bit of arthritis in my middle thumb joint and maybe I'm heeling a bit to take the pressure off. I know it hurts when I just use thumb and forefinger. I'll take some painkillers a while before shooting next time, see if that helps.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
Draw to normal anchor, aim/focus/do your thing, then pretend to close a door you just walked through with your elbow. The motion uses perfect back tension and if you don't double clutch the string makes the smoothest release. If they're all hitting to the right then your release is now flawed or you were plucking the string before. Don't think it's the arrows if they worked before. Maybe try some blind bale shooting and really feel the form.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
maybe you are not keeping the arrow under your eye,, :) and pulling through the shot

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »
Whatever it was seems to have faded away. I'm back to my usual one or two to the left, one or two to the right etc. The odd one in the middle(ish) ;D

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:03:33 pm »
for me : left is a pluck, right is a collapse or canting too much. i dont hardly cant at all any more just for consistancy sake so when i do i miss right a tad. as for collapse i find i collapse if i grip the bow rater than shooting with an open ish hand. no idea why but thats just how it is for me

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »
What do you mean by collapse? Sounds like something I could do ;)

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 08:55:04 pm »
I mean the oppisite of a pluck. Draw up, and upin release your draw hand comes forward, your posture collapses as if and involuntary slouch, and your bow hand moves slightly rightwards (if you are right handed). If your always a little right tho you can try slightly higher spined arrows or less weighted tips to accomplish the same effect

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »
Thanks, don't think that's it.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »
itd be hard to tell without seeing your form. especially seeing your form when your hitting where you want to be and when youve been off it for a while and hit right.