Author Topic: Anybody use Vertias dowel maker?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Anybody use Vertias dowel maker?
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:14 am »
I have split and sawed ash for arrow fore shafts. I made homemade dowel maker but was wondering about Vertias tool looks like it works on YouTube. Anybody use one?
Thanks Brian
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody use Vertias dowel maker?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:28 am »
I've not used one but I have arrows made with a Vertias dowel cutter. They make good shafting but need some adjusting to get it just right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:55:19 am »
Thanks Pat do you know if they were made with the $35 tool or the more expensive tool that you can get different sized dowel size tools for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:11 am »
That I don't know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline unkieford

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:56 pm »
I have the $35 one, and like it quite a bit. It does need some finesse in set up, but it's not complicated.
Just remember that you will 'lose' a few inches at the end of the shaft, and plan for it.

---Ford---

Offline ibex

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:47 am »
Yes, great tool!
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:21:54 pm »
I bought the high dollar one a year or so ago, the one that has the adapter for 11/32" diameter. It is extremely finicky in that you have to micro adjust
the front cutter and back cutter perfectly. I want to get it set up and run a couple hundred shafts with it, however; the test pieces I ran through (Poplar), they came out with a perfect burnish finish after ruining 6-7 poplar blanks. I need to experiment more. My problem is sourcing affordable lumber to use for my shafting. The big box stores are outrageous on pricing for poplar. For that reason I have not messed with it much. I plan on getting it up and running this weekend. I will post pictures and any tips that could help people to see how well it works, as I see this question come up often.
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:30:56 pm »
Made it home safe and sound unpacking now I'll post later had a great time chat in a bit thanks for a great time everyone was so nice my kind of people and place.