Author Topic: Flintknapping Video Cut Tine Tip Antler Flaking  (Read 6144 times)

AncientTech

Flintknapping Video Cut Tine Tip Antler Flaking
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:05 pm »
https://youtu.be/mWOBRx5YfL4

This video is currently going around the world, through Facebook.  I am getting a lot of feedback from people over in Europe.  A German person pointed out that the technique shown here was shown on an old black and white clip from the Amazon jungle.  According to the individual, the arrowhead making process was exactly the same, in the clip.  I never showed this to anyone, before.

Offline Ghost Knapper

Re: Flintknapping Video Cut Tine Tip Antler Flaking
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:43:30 pm »
This tool below has been part of the evidence provided for your knapping technique. Is it always used as a billet like percussor as shown in your video? While it isn't striking the stone it is striking the small punch. Interesting video, thanks for sharing it!

Offline turbo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:11:41 am »
Thanks Ben, the moment we've been waiting for. Nice bifurcate too. Is this a similar technique as your overshot?

Offline le0n

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 01:52:40 am »
Thanks for sharing this clip, Ben.

I tried doing this based on the descriptions you had posted last year and only resulted in smashing my fingers.

Now after seeing this video, I can only imagine that i would still smash my fingers, hah hah.

That must take loads off practice to accomplish.

Again, thanks.

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:31:17 am »
This tool below has been part of the evidence provided for your knapping technique. Is it always used as a billet like percussor as shown in your video? While it isn't striking the stone it is striking the small punch. Interesting video, thanks for sharing it!

This tool is usually used as a flaker in a completely different process, not the one shown in the clip.

AncientTech

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:34:37 am »
Thanks Ben, the moment we've been waiting for. Nice bifurcate too. Is this a similar technique as your overshot?

This is not similar to the overshot technology.  The handheld flaking process shown in the video is a minor flaking process between hammerstone flaking, and pressure flaking.  I believe that it could be the same process as that described by Grinnell, (1872). 

AncientTech

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 03:39:07 am »
Thanks for sharing this clip, Ben.

I tried doing this based on the descriptions you had posted last year and only resulted in smashing my fingers.

Now after seeing this video, I can only imagine that i would still smash my fingers, hah hah.

That must take loads off practice to accomplish.

Again, thanks.

It might be like playing a musical instrument.  I am all thumbs, but I was very determined to bring my theory to life.  Now, I can do it almost like riding a bicycle, once I get into a rhythm.   

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 08:18:56 am »
It is hard to see the percussor in the video. In there anyway you can post a photo of it? Like everyone else has been saying thanks for sharing the clip.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
Very enlightening.  I hope to see more.

Keith

AncientTech

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 02:11:38 pm »

AncientTech

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 02:12:54 pm »
Very enlightening.  I hope to see more.

Keith

I have a Facebook page called "Knap Yucatan".  I will be uploading more, there.

AncientTech

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 02:13:40 pm »
It is hard to see the percussor in the video. In there anyway you can post a photo of it? Like everyone else has been saying thanks for sharing the clip.

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
Did you model the base after a particular point style? I see you replied to my question about the percussor but I don't see it in the provided photo? I took a clip from the video and it looks almost identical to the antler tine.

The top photo is a picture of the antler tine cropped and flipped upside down. The lower picture is from the video, it is blurry but they look like they are the same tool.

AncientTech

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 12:24:18 am »
Did you model the base after a particular point style? I see you replied to my question about the percussor but I don't see it in the provided photo? I took a clip from the video and it looks almost identical to the antler tine.

The top photo is a picture of the antler tine cropped and flipped upside down. The lower picture is from the video, it is blurry but they look like they are the same tool.

I used the heavy end of the tine as a percussor, some.  But, it is not good for the process, because it is bulky.  I have a shorter basal end that seems to work a little better.  But, that being said, these are the wrong tools.  My strike motion is not completely optimized.  A good strike has a certain feel to it.  I am almost certain that I will be able to get the right strike motion, while using a hafted antler hammer.  It does not have to be large.   

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 08:53:02 am »
This video is currently going around the world, through Facebook.  I am getting a lot of feedback from people over in Europe.  A German person pointed out that the technique shown here was shown on an old black and white clip from the Amazon jungle.  According to the individual, the arrowhead making process was exactly the same, in the clip.  I never showed this to anyone, before.

Not to be quarrelsome but this video you linked to you stated was exactly the same as an old black and white clip from the Amazon. If it is exactly the same instead of modifying the technique (switching to a hafted  antler hammer) why not stick with it and become more proficient?