Author Topic: 1st Annual Laminated Bow Challenge at the TN Classic  (Read 10081 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
1st Annual Laminated Bow Challenge at the TN Classic
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:20:56 pm »
As the subject states, this will be the first of many laminated bow challenges at the Classic.  Because of the such great interest and demand for the bow blanks that I brought to the Classic last year, I decided to make it more interesting in having a similar bow challenge.  After running this by Pappy, he thought it was a great idea.  Good for people to have a chance and learn about laminated bows, and at the same time, have a lot of fun.  I only have 35 blanks, that range anywhere from 35# to 60#.  Participants will have to purchase a bow blank, and obtain a score card at the Classic and compete to win one of three 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place trophy prizes. 

Those people wanting to participate and finish a bow blank will need to bring their own tools if they have them.  To finish these bow blanks takes minimal hand tools:  4-way rasp, scraper, nock file, a little sandpaper, and maybe some kind of finish in an aerosol spray can.  These are bamboo-backed osage bow blanks and bamboo-backed ipe bow blanks.  Some are natural, and some are dyed with various colors and patterns.  And the riser woods also will come in a variety of species of wood.  Included are pics of some of the bows in the rough and completely finished out.  I hope this turns out to be a wonderful and fun event for all participants and spectators.  The pics are of just a few examples of unfinished and finished bows to show how they can turn out. 

i will be arriving at the classic saturday, april 23rd

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:48:49 am by james parker »

Offline _Jon_

Re: 1st Annual Laminated Bow Challenge at the TN Classic
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:15 pm »
Dang it I have to work at the Classic. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:43 pm »
pics for laminated bow challenge
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:37:31 pm by james parker »

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:02 pm »
Hope I can catch up with you and maybe buy a blank to work on after the Classic.  Now that's a solid plan I think. :-)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:44:10 pm »
What day are you getting to the Classic?  I would like to get one from you.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 04:21:39 am »
Great James, Ye Jon you have to work  ??? ;):o. James had the idea and I think it would be fun, it will work about like the selfbow Challenge, register, finish a bow and shoot the course for score, James is supplying the awards  so I am sure it will be something special.The registration and cards will be through Jon but the cards will be turned into to James and he will tell us who the winners are. We will give the awards at the awards ceremony. Yep wished I could get in on it also. :( Clint I am sure James will chime in but I think he is coming in Saturday or Sunday of this weekend.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
Very interesting. What day will you arrive?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:20 am »
i will be arriving at the classic saturday, april 23rd

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:21 am »
This sounds like a fun contest! Great idea James. Looking forward to spending time with y'all again!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:41 am »
Count me in, James.  I'll have to work on it early on before the official weekend.  I'll be there on Saturday 23rd or Sunday.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
In! Hope there'll be few left at my paltry draw weight. Arriving Wed. Thanks for setting this up, James.

Will certainly be challenge for yours truly. Clint & Matt will have theirs done by Wed, so just copy one of them ... easy/peasy.   ::)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 03:06:18 pm »
We talked about that knoll, send James a pm to reserve one for the challenge. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 05:35:22 pm »
Mike you make a takedown outta yours? ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »
Mike you make a takedown outta yours? ;)
some kinda friend, huh?
 ???
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »
as it now stands,,, we have 8 people preregistered,for sure and 2 maybes,,,looks like it will be a fun venture,,,
 1st, 2nd, and third place prizes will be awarded, along with free tee-shirts for the winners..
 thanks to all for the support,,, pappy has agreed that this could/will be an annual event if there is enough intrest,,,,
 i now have around 20  blanks left..,, so they are going  at a steady pace
last year i parted ways  with 65 bow blanks,, wish i had started the challenge then
 thanks again,,, james