Author Topic: Shooting to the right  (Read 5547 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Shooting to the right
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21:33 pm »
I have been shooting alot lately getting ready to shoot at a turkey I hope, I can tell when I shoot to much and am a bit tired,, consistancy goes down, I shoot a bit high and left,, if my form is good they go down the middle,, and yes I have my shots that could go anywhere,,
but as I practice every day,, the form is getting better and I am more consistent hitting where I look,, it just takes more practice than you think to get there sometimes,, sometimes I can't figure out what is wrong, but the next day it is gone,, you got to just keep at it,, and sometimes the progress is very slow,, I shoot two different ways and shoot alot of different bows,, with different draw lengths, so that is not helping sometimes,,the shorter bows, I snap shoot, and I like that,, the longer draw bows,, I hit anchor and pull through the shoot,, at close range,, accuracy is about the same,,, as I back up,, a longer more deliberate draw seems to work better,, but I like being able to do both,, and to tell you the truth ,,enjoy the snap shooting the most,, :)

Offline Emmet

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 10:40:59 am »
This happens to me time to time,shooting left or right. I find it mostly has to do with being tired or something on my mind.
My eyes drift, grip changes and gets tight. I have less then perfect form and release. Next time out all is better.
I shoot best at dusk when no one is around and the woods are quite.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 11:49:17 am »

I shoot best at dusk when no one is around

I've notice the 'no one around' thing. I shoot way better in my back yard than I do at the range. But I've been a "choker" all my life and I'm used to it(sorta) :-\ :-\

Offline PeteC

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:27 pm »
If I'm shooting to one side or the other,(with a pre-tested bow/arrow match-up)it always ends up being a form issue. Make sure your drawing arm/hand are in alignment with the arrow,and that following the release ,the drawing hand is behind your anchor point,and not going up ,down or out to the side.  I have to check myself regularly for "over-drawing",which always ends up to the side . I believe this problem is a result of shooting bows in the lower 50# range. I have shot for over 50 years and made the decision a few years ago to drop 10# off my draw weight to help my joints last a little longer. JMHO  God Bless
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:09:36 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 09:41:36 am »
State of mind like said means consistency or not for me many times.That's why one day seems to be better than another.Full concentration on the target.Deliberate draw/anchor and release.Doing it the same every time for consistency.Go to shoot with just 3 arrows.It's better that I shoot 3 deliberate shots instead of dozens at a time.Everyone misses no matter what's been said.Confidence builds and when it hits it's supposed to.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 10:15:03 am »
I'm right-handed. Assuming arrows are spined reasonably. Shots hitting right are generally due to my release. Shots hitting left are caused by moving bow hand. That's been my experience. YRMD.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:00 pm »
One thing I have noticed is even after shooting a bow a few hundred times it will take a little more set that will throw off your accuracy.   I usually trim the front of the fletching to reduce contact with the handle.  And sometimes you may inadvertently be pulling back on the string to the right as I do often.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell