Author Topic: Antler Lucet  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Ranasp

Antler Lucet
« on: April 20, 2016, 05:35:39 pm »
So I was looking at a few members in my SCA group making cord with a device called a "lucet".  The one they were using looked a bit like a wooden tuning fork but in a more Y shape with a hole at the intersection.  Of course it made me think of antler tines and how easy it would be to make a lucet out of them, and then I saw this page: https://halldorviking.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/lucets-and-lucetting/ the third photo down interested one of the weavers, and I said I could easily make that out of antler by drilling out the center and sawing the antler down for the raised bits.  I saw elsewhere someone was using a hook and grooves to make pulling the thread loops easier, so I filed grooves into either side and made a temporary hook out of the chunk of antler that I sawed off.  This is just a test one to see if the weavers like how it handles and what modifications it will need to be more effective, but I thought it wasn't bad for a first try.

Offline Chief RID

Re: Antler Lucet
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:40:18 am »
Very interesting. Twisting up fibers is interesting and useful stuff. Thanks.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:48 am »
Showed it to the fiber people and consensus was the nubs at the top need to be a bit longer, but not by a whole lot.  I'll probably bang out a few different sizes from other antler chunks, since what's comfortable for one person won't necessarily be for another. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:27 pm »
Innovation even centuries late is what makes us tick. :)
I hope you have some more tock >:D
Cool concept.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline neuse

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:05 am »
That is interesting and definetly something I have never heard about.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »
Thanks Neuse, I love it when someone learns something new.  :) 

Looks like I need to make the knobs a bit longer still and work on making a hook to grab the thread with.