Author Topic: Pasties  (Read 9609 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Pasties
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:54:32 am »
So a local church has a pastie sale twice a year. Just in time for spring turkey camp, then again for deer camp. I'll be picking up a pile of them after work today. I'll be bringing a taste of Michigan with me to South Dakota. If you don't know what a pastie is, I'm sad for you. Just know I'll be eating good tonight!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pasties
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:00 am »
There are pasties and there are pasties! I hope you are eating the correct ones.  ;) The others would probably get caught in your throat.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:25 pm »
Lo!  I think it's safe to assume that we're not talking about the type of pasties with tassles Pat.   I must admit that I'm curious as to what the pasties we are talking about consist of.  Do tell Dave.  Josh

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:45 pm »
Pasties are a Yooper's version of an empanada ...  ;)

Basically meat and vegetables wrapped in a thin dough and then baked.  A meat pie for one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »
yeah, those tassels are hard to swallow.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »
Yup that's a fact, the tassels don't taste very good. 

Meat pie is correct. It's a Michigan thing. The story goes, it was a common meal way back in the day for all the copper miners in the upper peninsula. Also know as "yuppers".

Here in Michigan there's always a debate about diced ingredients versus chuncks of meat and veggies. Either way, it's tasty! And ask almost any up north Michigander, they'll tell you who makes the best pasty.

Makes for a darn good hunt camp food. A whole meal all wrapped up nicely to throw in a backpack.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 01:58:12 pm »
Yeah, we know "yuppers" here on PA.  ::)  I'm just saying!  ;D

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:07 pm »
I spread this knowledge in AZ about once a month.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:27 pm »

We have them here also, miners food.  Do the Trolls have them too? ::) ::)

Wayne

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:50 am »
I'm a Troll and darn proud of it  ;) - but I still love Me some Pasties. I like 'Em smothered in good Brown or Onion Gravy ! Dang - goin' to the grocery store this morning - guess what just put on the list  :laugh: !!!!!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 07:49:52 am »
I eat them at least once a month. Love them! Rutabaga is yummy. Good call, Dave.

Brown gravy or ketchup is my thing. Even just melted butter will do a guy right.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:12:58 am »
Now your talkin! A little melted butter, salt, pepper, and I throw a little hot sauce on there. That's all I need.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 05:32:21 pm »
You know it is kind of funny how many parts of the world/country have similar delicacies..?
Empanadas, pasties, burritos, bierrocks, runzas and fried pies are all basically dough wrapped baked, or fried, portable meals.  :)

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:51 am »
"Meat, potatoes, rutabagas and lard" and soon you will be "fart'in like a tuba at the back of the band" Jeff Daniels - E. in da Moonlight.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 10:10:36 am »
"Meat, potatoes, rutabagas and lard" and soon you will be "fart'in like a tuba at the back of the band" Jeff Daniels - E. in da Moonlight.

I love that stupid movie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹