Author Topic: Hazel warbow  (Read 12249 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Hazel warbow
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »
When in doubt, copy Dave Pim.  He's the master of the sidenock.

The tutorial here is for horn, but it works perfectly straight into the wood.  Note the soft curve on his string grooves, especially on the bottom images.

http://www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com/TudorSidenocks2015.html

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »
I've looked at that article and Alanesq's version many timesand thiught I'd got it figured out - I guess you only find stuff out when you actually try it. I think I need to reshape the nocks on my boy's bow too now! Thank you.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 04:51:50 pm »
Looking at the article again it suggests tat the bottom nock will be almost square on to take the knot, and the top nock will be at more of an angle. Is this right?

Offline WillS

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 07:28:16 pm »
If you're using a knot, yes.  Personally I use double loop strings with my sidenocks, so both nocks are cut at the same angle.  I've got no experience using a knot with them, so couldn't say. 

You might find the nocks end up quite different to how you imagine them.  It's hard to get a true perspective using photos, and experimentation is often the only way to fill in the gaps.  Start exaggerated and you might be closer than you think - make them extra large, extra rounded, extra curved and so on.