Author Topic: Antler Billet vs Hammer Stone  (Read 17557 times)

Bishop

Antler Billet vs Hammer Stone
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:33:12 pm »
I was wondering if some of you knappers can give me a little info on the difference between using a antler billet vs a hammer stone, i have never done any flintknapping and was wondering if its just a personal preference, does one work better on certain materials?
thanks in advance
Bishop

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:10:44 pm by Bishop »

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Antler Billet vs Hammer Stone
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:21:57 pm »
The techniques are slightly different. The stones tend to make wide flat flakes and the atler make longer less wide flakes. But truly I dont see much difference when you get the technique down for both of them. Since the stone has more mass make a slower strike and a faster one with the antler. Angles change a bit too! There are some aplications where I like the stone better than the antler. To see this difference take a look at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Flintknappingtips

Marty is a fabulous knapper who specializes in the use of only stone, antler and other material that were available to early peoples. This will give you a chance to see the differences. He also trys to replicate the tool manufacturig processes as closly as possible.

Have fun and break lots of rock!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:49:14 pm »
  Antler, stones, and copper work differently on certain rocks. Obsidean tends to like antler and soft stone. Copper, antler, stone works good on flint,chert, coral . Hammerstones and wooden clubs seem a necesssity with rock like Ryolite, onadoga  and other concrete like rocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01:41 am »
Unless you're a knapping demigod like Marty, it's hard to pull off making a good point with only hammerstones. Hammerstones are usually used more in the spalling and primary reduction phases. It's hard to run long thinning flakes from a preform with a hammerstone. The antler billet will take those big long flat flakes off to thin the point. If you're using a hammerstone for your primary percussion tool, a soft one usually is the way to go. Harder hammerstones tend to cone-fracture your rock and run short, thick flakes that terminate in step fractures.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Bishop

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:38:02 am »
Thanks for the info so far guys, im learning a lot. Im trying to put together some basic tools so i can start cutting my self up.. ;D.
Bishop

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:34:02 pm »
Antler billets have the ability to reabsorb some of the shock when striking the stone.  I have heavy moose and small moose as well as elk and deer billets.  Also have copper boppers and hammer stones.  Learning the technique of holding and striking is sometimes a slow process.  Remember to have good prepared platforms and abrade, abrade, abrade.  Be ready to sacrifice material to the debit pile.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »
Also, only abraid where you will strike. That way the flake detaches more easily. Its a tough trick to learn but once learned it works very well for getting long flat flakes off. Remember the three basic rules, Platforms, Abrade and Bring Lots of  ;DBandaids!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:54:36 pm »
I only use a hammer stone if i need to knock off alot of rock or spall flakes for simple knives.  i have never used a billet before and i am just begining
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »
I've tried antler and stone but am partial to copper :). The big hammerstones I may use to knock spalls from a cobble (seems to work very well), but beyond that I seem to be more accurate and effiecent with my copper boppers. The antler for bifacing a point works well enough, don't think I gave it an honest effort though - my boppers were laying right there handy ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

wvfknapper

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:44:36 am »
Cowboy

Do you make your own boppers? Do you know Paul Stein from Texas?

wvflintknapper

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:59:04 am »
Yes I've made pretty much all my own gear. The boppers are just round stock cut into about four to five inch length's, kinda rounded on one end. Bought em at a metal mart (El Paso), they mine a buttload of copper out there. They were remnants in a rack, bought em by the pound. $$$$ :-X.

Hmm, Paul Stein - doesn't ring a bell..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.