Author Topic: printable version of adam karpowicz books?  (Read 9225 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
printable version of adam karpowicz books?
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:58 am »
Hi All,

I hate Kindle!  There. I've said it.  Does anyone know where I can beg, borrow, buy or steal a printable copy of either edition (in English) of Adam Karpowicz' book on building horn bows? I don't mind paying for it,  I just want a paper copy I can hold in my hot little hands and scribble notes over if need be.........

mikekeswick

Re: printable version of adam karpowicz books?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:48 am »
Yeah me too they really are awful.....and of course they programme them so you can't print anything....

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:50:29 am »
I used a tool to decrypt it (removed DRM), it is still in "azw" format (MOBI, or Mobipocket). Don't know. I could try to spend a long time 'typesetting' it or something, maybe, if I wanted it to look nice and be more readable. It should be convertible to, I guess LaTeX and then .pdf since it is readable by open source tools after I decrypted it.. it's mostly just text and pictures anyway.

I use Calibre to read it at the moment.

If I were to make a printable version, I'm pretty sure I would only share it if you can prove you've purchased the e-book + with Adam Karpowicz's permission..?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:04:42 am by loon »

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:59:30 am »
If you want to decrypt it yourself, it is rather easy. I forgot the name of the tool but it was very easy to use on Windows, just drag and drop, though you need to install that Kindle program and let it download the book. Then you could use the ebook-convert tool that comes with Calibre to generate a pdf that I don't think would be very pretty. But it would be printable. I'm not sure if that tool runs on Windows though, probably just Linux.

The iBook version is a cent less. maybe it is epub instead of mobi/azw which may be easier to work with... not sure about unDRMing tools.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:07:51 am by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:23:51 am »
I'm with Loon, once you use a tool to strip the DRM then you can do anything with it, I use Calibre on windows to convert formats. I have a kindle paperwhite that I love but I very very rarely get my e-books through amazon, I buy them elsewhere and then use Calibre to autoconvert as it loads them onto my kindle.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:46 am »
So if not Amazon, then where is a good source?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:52:05 am »

Well some things may be cheaper on amazon, some on barnes and noble, some on other sites, and then some are free either legitimately or....shhhh >:D

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:38 pm »
I only know of iBooks.
http://www.ottoman-turkish-bows.com/
Apparently, it is ePub rather than Mobi. Which is a more "open" format. May end up looking nice on paper, not sure.
Apparently, iBooks come with DRM which can be stripped just like the Amazon ones. I don't know if Amazon has bothered to make their DRM harder to crack.
It may or may not be a better alternative to buying it on Amazon.
Or. I don't know if anyone has uploaded it... somewhere... I think I'd rather just pay Adam Karpowicz directly than Apple or Amazon. How much % royalties does he even get from those stores?...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:19:05 pm by loon »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:11 am »
yes, I'd far rather go to Adam K than anyone else, but the links on what I think is his page just go to Apple and Amazon. I did not know you could convert formats (never heard of Calibre or Mobi), and that is good information to have, so thanks guys. Also wasn't aware the book was available in ibook, thought it was Kindle only.  All really useful info.  Thanks everyone :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:08:26 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline arthurnottheking

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 03:00:22 am »
Quote from: Urufu_Shinjiro April 27, 2016, 10:23:51 am
I'm with Loon, once you use a tool to strip the DRM then you can do anything with it, I use Calibre on windows to convert formats. I have a kindle paperwhite that I love but I very very rarely get my e-books through amazon, I buy personal statement elsewhere and then use Calibre to autoconvert as it loads them onto my kindle

Hi,

+1 to Calibre. This tool is just perfect for e-book management. By the way, here's a short guide how to make the Calibre library work on all the devices as a content sharing tool:

In Calibre’s menu bar, go to Connect/share > Start content server. Your computer might prompt you to allow the app through its firewall. Next, click on the Connect/share tab for a second time. You’ll see your computer’s local IP address followed by the port number. Make a note of them. Now head to your Kindle’s browser (or any other browser) and type [IP address]:[port number] in the address bar. You should see all your Calibre books appear on your screen. Click on a book’s title to open it or click on the + icon in the upper right-hand corner to add more content to your library.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
I had a copy but my wife threw it away tidying up the house. No big deal, they only cost about $250! I agree. I need a copy I can flip through. I don't like reading it on computer