Author Topic: Pecan selfbow  (Read 5712 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: Pecan selfbow
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
For what species is just name "hickory" used, is it a pignut hickory or something else?

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »
within "hickory" there's pignut, bitternut, shagbark, shellbark and mockernut, just in this area...  just hickory is a broad scope and pecan certainly fits..

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 07:28:20 pm »
Hickory is divided into True or typical Hickory and the Pecan Hickories. Actual Pecan is the only one that people seem to use that name for rather than generically calling it Hickory

The two types can still hybridise so the separation can't be much of a difference.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 07:44:12 pm »
Hickory or holly, dosen't matter to me ,,,,,congratulatios with meat on the ground ....again way to go joe.....
DBar
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:21:55 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline FilipT

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 01:43:58 am »
I know that hickory is broad term, but my question is whenever you see "hickory bow", of what particular species is that bow? I think you all understand, everybody calls it simply hickory, but obviously its one particular type of hickory.
What are differences between Pecan hickory and others, do they have similar tension/compression ratio and SG? How is their workability?

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »
Congrats and pretty work.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 02:09:37 pm »
I know that hickory is broad term, but my question is whenever you see "hickory bow", of what particular species is that bow? I think you all understand, everybody calls it simply hickory, but obviously its one particular type of hickory.
What are differences between Pecan hickory and others, do they have similar tension/compression ratio and SG? How is their workability?

Any answer to that question ( which I do not have ) will be general. There is a large difference in between same species only feet apart, even staves taken from the same tree to say one species is better than the other.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 09:02:08 pm »
Way to get it done Joe. On the bow and on the deer.

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »
Congratulations, my first selfbow deer was taken with a hickory stick.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »
  People just use what is common locally. Some of the Hickories are much more widespread and common so a typical hickory bow is likely to be one of those types.
  Pignut generally gets the nod as the best  and Shagbark is frequently used as well.

You can look up the numbers in wood strength databases and get an idea of their relative strengths but most of them have quite similar properties.
  As mentioned though the Pecan Hickories are somewhat weaker all around.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 09:29:32 pm »
nice  bow ,, nice way to test the cast,, congrats :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Nice bow looks like you got her sighted in good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise