Author Topic: Real target panic  (Read 3708 times)

Offline DC

Real target panic
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:46 am »
I had my best night ever at the range last night and of course I have to analyse it :D. When I got there, there was no targets up, just some foam teddy bear cutouts that the kids shoot at. Someone hollered "range open" so I just shot at the bear. I did well so I never did put up a target. Anyone else notice that they do better if they're not shooting at a real target? I seem to remember reading something to that effect.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Real target panic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:21 pm »
YES! I have serious trouble with that whole aim small miss small thing. If someone hangs a water bottle or a coffee cup lid up I can shoot groupings that make my knocks nervous, when there's just a target face I'm shooting at the whole butt.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »
OK there has to be some deep seated psychological reason for this. Up on the couch ;D
How is a guy supposed deal with this?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:38 pm »
Always carry little paper bunnies in your back pocket?

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:55:42 pm »
Thats a good idea, but how to you get the deer to hold still long enough to pin the bunnies on them?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:53:01 pm »
You need to bend reality with your mind just a bit. You have to convince yourself that the only part of the target that is really there is the ten ring. It's not good enough to focus on it. You have to make the rest disappear. Your not seeing a deer when shooting a deer, but just a deer's heart and lungs.

Next time you shoot, do the first quiver blindfolded at 10 yds. Do it by feel and try to make your movements identical for each shot. I bet you shoot a decent group given the circumstances. I will also wager the first quiver after you take off the blindfold will be the best of the night. You'd be surprised how better controlled your focus will be after taking it away first.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:18 am »
Would shooting with rhythm possibly help? There was a video but I can't find it now. There are 4 beats. First is ready, 2nd is begin to draw, 3rd is full draw, 4th is release. But I guess the 4th beat would discourage an involuntary release by pulling further for someone who isn't used to it?..

edit/PS: I found it in a video of the Chinese Archery event in Georgia, 2016
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:38:19 pm by loon »

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:57 am »
I tried that four beats thing a while back. Once the rythm is engrqined the release really is unconsious. I found it did help with target panic too. Not time to analize it. Just one two three loose

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:58 pm »
i wish I was an expert on this, I am not,,
the only thing I can offer is to compare it to playing a musical instrument,,
you have to practice so many hours, that playing becomes something you can do without thinking about it,,
you have to practice correctly and always expect no mistakes,,,,
that takes alot of hours,,
or with archery,, alot of arrows,,
the better you get,,,, the slower the progress,,
thats all I know,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:38:12 pm »
Yes, practice is the answer. I have noticed that even though I have really good days and really bad days, over all I'm getting better. My bad days still seem bad, although I rarely have to go behind the target to pick up arrows now. Good days just keep getting better. Just hope I've got enough years in me to make it to mediocre. ;D ;D ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »
you can do it,, :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:09:07 pm »
  You can lession to a 100 people that did this or that a 100 ways these people got help. Dos'nt mean 1 of those ways will help you. We can all give you advice,you'll find out it's a lone'ly up hill road for some, some give up and quit. Some go back to compounds and sights. What ever you chose you'll have to do it alone.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:59:34 am »
That's the truth.Some things have go to be figured out for yourself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 11:13:45 pm »
 That's the real truth for sure.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING