Author Topic: A classic bow experiment  (Read 21716 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A classic bow experiment
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
I'm not going to back it.  I want to see what it will do.  I got it tapered and rounded the edges.   I put osage tip overlays on it.  It's going to be light draw weight because of all the early growth.  When I'm done with my shark steak lunch I'll start tillering it.  You got to love the meals at the classic. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »
Hi there, If you see a faint ghostly figure of a wandering Brit at the stroke of midnight...it's me 'cos I'm there in spirit.
Have a grand time and tip a mason jar for me :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:39:44 pm »
Clint,
        You said you weren't going to back it...The idea is to soak a couple of exposed rings with super glue which would be a glue backing? Synthetic? Trying to understand the experiment...
                                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »
It's just to see if a thin ringed bow can handle multiple ring violations.  The reason I soaked it in superglue is because the bow I saw like this was built that way.  I'm trying to replicate his build. 

Online Hamish

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »
It might survive tillering, or even for a decent amount of shooting but it will pop rings on the back eventually.
I have also seen bows from staves like this go during tillering, especially in staves with thin rings that look on the end grain like predominantly early wood.
Nice experiment and I can understand why you might want to try it out, but it has been tried by plenty of people in the past(including myself), a rawhide backing before tillering will save the stave, and save you time in the long run.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:10 pm »
Hi there, If you see a faint ghostly figure of a wandering Brit at the stroke of midnight...it's me 'cos I'm there in spirit.
Have a grand time and tip a mason jar for me :)
Del

Explains why I have been so dis-spirited the last few days.  If your ghost sees my ghost, tell 'im I said "hi".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:02 pm »
Hamish the point of the whole thing is the experiment, time and stave notwithstanding, believe me the outlaw has an abundance of staves
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:33 pm »
Head'em up! Move'em out! Sorry...Anytime someone says rawhide, I can't resist.
:)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:03 pm »
It's a bow!  We pulled it to 28" on the tree.  I've drawn it numerous times with no problems.  The limbs are 9/16" thick out of the fades.  It's taken a lot of set which was expected due to it being mostly early growth.  The bow is massive but very light in physical weight. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 10:33:58 pm »
It's a bow!  We pulled it to 28" on the tree.  I've drawn it numerous times with no problems.  The limbs are 9/16" thick out of the fades.  It's taken a lot of set which was expected due to it being mostly early growth.  The bow is massive but very light in physical weight.

Stand it up in a fight with Gun Doc's catalpa bow in the match of the century...bows made from wood that doesn't make bows!  After all, what is the use of establishing boundaries if we aren't going to play hopscotch with 'em now and then, right? 

Well played, Outlaw! Now post pics for those like me that can't read!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »
It might survive tillering, or even for a decent amount of shooting but it will pop rings on the back eventually.
I have also seen bows from staves like this go during tillering, especially in staves with thin rings that look on the end grain like predominantly early wood.
Nice experiment and I can understand why you might want to try it out, but it has been tried by plenty of people in the past(including myself), a rawhide backing before tillering will save the stave, and save you time in the long run.

I wasn't trying to save this bow.  I would have burnt this stave if it wasn't for this experiment.   I wasn't trying to prove something new to the bow building community.  Like I said in my first post, I've seen bows like this before that had been shot  a lot.   I was having fun with friends at the Tennessee Classic and seeing what would happen with it.  I have my answer now.  I will find a stave with rings like this but with more late wood and try it again. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 10:39:19 pm »
The catalpa bow isn't fairing to well JW.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »
The catalpa bow isn't fairing to well JW.

Ruh-roh, Shaggy!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 12:57:59 am »
My assistant Captain Red Beard holding it for the braced picture.

The tiller isn't perfect.  I didn't spend much time on it.  I got the brace evened up some and pulled it straight to 28" on the tree.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:31 am »