Author Topic: Tallow  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Lucasade

Tallow
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:57:59 am »
Our local butcher is going to more or less give me some beef fat to render down into tallow. How much fat will I need to produce a sensible amount of tallow?

Put another way, how much tallow do you need to mix with how much beeswax to finish a bow?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tallow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:46 pm »
Our local butcher is going to more or less give me some beef fat to render down into tallow. How much fat will I need to produce a sensible amount of tallow?

Put another way, how much tallow do you need to mix with how much beeswax to finish a bow?

A couple of tablespoons, maybe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:30 pm »
The best tallow comes from lamb kidney fat.  It is hard white and flakey.  Put in a tall pot full of water over a fire OUTSIDE.  After it comes to a rolling boil take the pot off the fire and leg it cool.  When it comes to room temperature there will be a hard white disc floating on top and nasty water below. Scrape off any discoloration from the underside of the tallow.  Store in a plastic container in the fridge.  Keeps forever.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:36 pm »
You can make it from just about any animal fat. I think it depends on how good you render it.

I hunted for 9 days in Kentucky once with a bow I didn't have time to seal and it started to rain the first day we got there. I started cutting fat off of a deer that my buddy had shot and saving the drippings from the Breakfast bacon. I filtered it all through coffee filters and rubbed it into my Osage bow and it worked great for the entire hunting trip.

I had a heck of a time de-greasing it when we got home, so I could "properly" seal it with Modern plastic.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 04:55:06 am »
I use 2/3 deer tallow and 1/3 bees wax to seal my hunting bow. I have on the occasion rubbed citronella candel wax on it too.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:15:08 am »
That's useful - thank you. Is it better to pre-melt them or does it work as well to apply them separately and rub them in together?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 12:58:38 pm »
Bees wax will melt and blend well with melted tallow. I would prefer to have it already mixed for easier application. I've not used beef tallow but have used bear grease(already rendered)with beeswax and some pine pitch for a leather dressing for my work boots.
 As a bow finish I think a good, vigorous hand rubbing would generate enough heat to help it penetrate the wood well. You could preheat the wood first too but not necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:35:45 pm »
I use a 'mutton tallow / paraffin / beeswax' mix as a under bullet lubricant in my muzzle loading revolvers.

I bought an old crock pot at a yard sale and put a pound of each in it and heated it for a few hours then ladled it into canning jars. It is probably the easiest way to mix them instead of melting over a double boiler and all that this is no risk. For the revolvers I cut a tiny chunk out and work in my fingers a few seconds to soften and then roll into a tiny ball and flatten it.

If you put your tallow and beeswax in an old crock pot you could probably essentially do the same. Make a mix that works for you and jar it and then dig some out and just rubbing it in would probably generate the heat, as Pat B said, to work it into the wood

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »
At the moment I'm applying them on top of each other and rubbing in together, which seems to work fine. I just like to find ways to improve when I can...

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 05:44:50 pm »
That's useful - thank you. Is it better to pre-melt them or does it work as well to apply them separately and rub them in together?

I melted them together as a single batch, then apply by rubbing the hardened wax on, then follow with a hair dryer to wet it out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others