Author Topic: Secrets to Success  (Read 6163 times)

Offline bow101

Secrets to Success
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »
How many of you find that certain arrows fly better than others, hands down your aim is perfect, your release is perfect or near perfect but certain arrows in your arsenal just fly better.
I go out and shoot now and mark the ones that fly best, the rest sit in the arrow rack at home.  I'm tired of figuring out the problem so I dont Bother..   :P There are more shafts in the rack.  . >:D

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Secrets to Success
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »
Lot of stuff that effects arrows much more than I really totally understand. Spine, fletching, weight, distribution of weight. These can all be complicated by bow also. Bow that shoots close to center is a bit more forgiving than shooting off handle. There are many you tube videos on tuning bows to arrows. I'm afraid I only have a basic understanding I'm sure a lot more experienced people on here than me. Are you making arrows?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »
You will want to try those rack arrows on a different bow ??? ???

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »
Time and time again I keep hearing about Equipment when 40% of the errors shooting Stick bows whether they are Primitive or otherwise is Human Error.  The reason I brought up arrows is because my arrow making is not great.  I could do bare shaft tuning which I dont.  ::) :P

You will want to try those rack arrows on a different bow ??? ???

I try to keep my Archery outings to using only 2 bows.  I have 4-5 that are under weight.  It just feels better and makes more sense to shoot a bow 40# and up when trying to hit 3-D at 30-40 yards. 

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:07:06 pm »
30-40 yards is outside the safe shooting distance for a self bow IMO. Heck, 40 yards is my max distance with my wheelie bow and it would have to be a unique situation where I would take that shot at a deer. At that distance the deer has plenty of time to move before your arrow even gets there. I'm not even talking about reacting to the arrow just normal movement. One step and your kill shot becomes a gut shot.  Just because you can hit a bulls eye at that distance doesn't mean you should be shooting live game at the same distance.

Of course if we're just talking 3D targets, then there's really not much of an issue. They never seem to go down no matter where you hit um.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:05 am »
I'm not even go a pretend to be " good at arrow" making and diffenatlly not shooting. From my very limited experience can get them to shoot nice groups in the 15 to 22 yard range. Past that mine are not any where close to matched good enough. Jimmy Blackmon shot 3 D turkey 2 out of 3 times if I remember right at 100 yards. His groups at 20 and 30 are amazing. Having said all that I think even Jimmy' said for hunting he woundn't past 30 and usually less. Sure fun to watch though

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
30-40 yards is outside the safe shooting distance for a self bow IMO. Heck, 40 yards is my max distance with my wheelie bow and it would have to be a unique situation where I would take that shot at a deer. At that distance the deer has plenty of time to move before your arrow even gets there. I'm not even talking about reacting to the arrow just normal movement. One step and your kill shot becomes a gut shot.  Just because you can hit a bulls eye at that distance doesn't mean you should be shooting live game at the same distance.

Of course if we're just talking 3D targets, then there's really not much of an issue. They never seem to go down no matter where you hit um.

I would not attempt to shoot an animal at 30-40 yards with a trad bow.  Having said that 3D targets are just that, only foam replicas.   Some of the great Trad shooters were taking game at those distances.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:42:14 am »
   I quit trying to get matched sets along time ago. If I build x # of arrows for my hunting bow.

If I get those arrows that just seam to jump off the bow and hit where I look. I use it. If I can't get it to shoot off that bow.  I build bows so I'll try it on other bows sooner or later.

Little sanding ,bending, change point weight. If those don't work. I'll just sand them down to a lower spine. Heck I can make most arrow hit perty good at 12,15,20 yards, 20 yards is my limit. In 40 bucks and as many does. My farthest was a 9 point at 17 yards.

15 Self bow gobblers all but 2 was 12 to 15 yards. 1 Gobbler at 23 and another at 25 both a late morning strut zones. I shot skuds at both as they struted away. nailed both close to butt holes.

I was amased at both shots. When you make your own shoot arrows you learn very quickie about your shot distances.  What you can do and can't do.

Can't go to wallmart and pick up a dozzen arrows.

I set up close 10,12 yards.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »
I have made a bunch of wood arrows over the years, many hundreds if not thousands. I am a very good arrow maker but have to admit I get some that are very well crafted, perfectly straight and spined correctly but they shoot lousy. They may shoot a foot left or high or be impossible to keep straight, this is just the nature of wood.

Being a cheapskate I don't make my arrows with the high dollar premium shafts but some very good chundo and poplar I traded for years ago. Perhaps some shafts like Surwood or others would be more consistent but I have so many shafts that I can cull and arrow or two without it bothering me.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 10:46:42 am »
On the topic of distances for different purposes, while I do intend to hunt one day and know that that's generally a 20yrd or less proposition, my main focus in archery is more marshal in nature. Being in a historical recreation society our main target shooting competitions are 25,35,and 45yrds but there are other shoots out to 100yrds or more. No point in letting the enemy get as close as 20yrds, they're more fun to shoot at on the other end of the battlefield, lol. In fact last weekend I got fourth place in a modified Scorton Silver Arrow shoot where I nailed the outer bullseye at 90yrds.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:44 am »
I have made a bunch of wood arrows over the years, many hundreds if not thousands. I am a very good arrow maker but have to admit I get some that are very well crafted, perfectly straight and spined correctly but they shoot lousy. They may shoot a foot left or high or be impossible to keep straight, this is just the nature of wood.

Thanks for your 2 bits.  Coming from you puts things into perspective.  Hopefully most will take that to the bank.  :)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:16 am »
101 wasn't saying they don't just that you get over  around 25 and everything makes a lot bigger difference. Even 20 and under sometimes they don't fly right. I know they can shoot out to 100 but mine are not good enough for it. I couldn't do it with the right arrow lol hope alls cool.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
PS very cool Urufu that takes a lot to just to get close. Like I post before you tube Those Amazing Selfbows its fun to watch.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:34 pm »
The excitement and rush of a close encounter with your game and successful shot far exceeds any shot I hit at long range target shooting, but it is fun anyway.I make all my arrows myself too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
you could do what I do to get a perfect shaft everytime
http://www.surewoodshafts.com/prices_premium.html
 ;)