Author Topic: Better cut tine flaker video, with flake measurements - clarification of old rec  (Read 2173 times)

AncientTech

https://youtu.be/tJcIThXgu7g

This video better shows the flaking process.  Some of the finishing flakes removed are approximately 20 mm in length, with 4mm x 2mm platforms.

Also, to clear up a misunderstanding that modern knappers may have, when looking at old records, it was commonly understood by American archaeologists (who dug archaeological sites), that a certain type of flaker was used in pressure flaking.  This flaker is generally about two inches long, curved, and cut from the tip of a tine.  Normally, the flaker will show signs of blunting, nicks, cuts, and striations, on and near the tip. 

Because it was believed that these tools were used in "pressure flaking", they were the tools that were sometimes shown in early photos of the pressure flaking process.  To the modern knapper - unacquainted with archaeological material - this could look like a "mistake", or an "error".  But, what was not known to earlier American researchers, and to modern knappers, is that such tools - small curved tine tips - could be used in indirect percussion, in a manner analogous to pressure flaking.  And, in certain instances, the tools could also function as pressure flakers, too.

I believe that there were some early American researchers who suspected indirect percussion, based on wear patterns, that do not correspond merely to pressure flaking. 

Anyway, my interpretation is based on notes given by Grinnell (1872).  And, my work gives a plausible theory for how these highly common flintknapping tools could have been used, in both indirect percussion, and pressure flaking, on raw stone.

Also, since my work was banned on Paleoplanet (no rules broken), and Arrowheadology (told that no one is interested), feel free to pass the video along to people who might otherwise not be allowed to see it.  Again, it is based on an interpretation of Grinnell 1872, who recorded the living memory of flintknapping as it had been carried out, into the early 1800's, as a fall back for when steel was not available.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:09:57 pm by AncientTech »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
I'll for sure watch it again. Thanks for the video.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline nclonghunter

Hey Ben, that is some interesting techniques. Glad you didn't whack that puppy with the antler..lol 

I have also read your article in Flintknapping Info on indirect antler punch knapping (http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/uploads/Percussion.pdf). I have been earnestly trying to learn the punch technique. I finally got the pressure points in the hand grip to come together and felt that vise like grip you describe in punching. The antler tools you are using in the video I would think would be better used in the vertical punch method for the size of preform you are working on. After reducing to an edged biface is when the indirect hand method, in your video would be best used. As you have stated before the same tools can be used in different techniques, switching from a vertical leg punch to the horizontal hand punch for final finish. Either way, Thanks for the video.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

AncientTech

Lyman, actually that was a post I wrote years ago, when I first got started, probably between 2010 and 2011.  I had asked the moderators of Paleoplanet to remove my old posts, because they contain too much incomplete, and inaccurate, information.  But, they would not allow my posts to be removed.  I also told them that if people try to use the early information the odds are that they will end up on an endless wild goose chase, with no hope of finding a way out.  So, I told them that my posts should be removed, so as to not create a hindrance for other people.  Still, they would not allow the posts to be removed.  Much of the information that I first shared between 2010, and 2011, is accurate, and will outlive all of us.  But, in order to find the meaning of what it all meant, what was needed was further information, from further research - not blind experiments.   

In 2014, I found unpublished documentation of a flintknapping process, still being used around 1900, which I believe explains Ishi's cryptic statement, and explains the nature of the 1000's of antler drift cylinders that have been recovered from archaeological contexts.  So, if that documentation had been included with my original posts from 2010-2012, then it would have been much easier for everyone to understand what it all meant.  But, it took years to find that documentation.  And, until I found it, the picture was incomplete.

As for the preform, and using the vertical punch, yes it can be done.  And, I have seen some things that remind me of the vertical punch use.  But, what a vertical punch will do is create a steeper platform, with more bulbing.  This sort of thing can be good, in creating a steep isolated platform.  But, if you want a thin edge with a gently turned contour, then the vertical punch can lead to excessive bulbing in the flake scars (at least for me).

Offline le0n

thanks for sharing this.

i'm ready for the next part of the video ;)

in the mean time, some of my observations...

this cheyenne hand-held indirect technique (if that is what you are demonstrating) is not very similar to that of the lacandon.

still from a video you uploaded:

• one apparent difference is the way the piece is supported outside of the palm
  • another is the third, fourth, and fifth finger grip on the tine
  • the tine is struck on the end (small-end) for a direct force

out of curiosity, did grinnell also describe a technique like the lacandon?

AncientTech

This is a different technique.

Here is how I was able to make the differentiation.  The Lacandon technique is a blade making technique.  It is used to remove blades from a core.  From what I recall, the punch is about four inches long.  And, the punch shows wear, on the side, from where it scrapes over the edge of the core.  This is the result of striking blades off of a core. 

A number of years ago, I believe that Marty Rueter made the statement that longer chisels are used to generate longer blades, in working stone.  I believe that this is an accurate observation, and the longer chisel length pertains to a longer loading time, during impact.  Thus, the Lacandon blade-making punch is about four inches long.

The Hopewell Indians also had blade making kits, like the Lacandon's.  And, I believe that the Hopewell blade making punches were about six inches long, and rather thin.  Once again, the length pertains to a long draw, and a long blade that was created.

But, the cut tine tips that are everywhere described as "flakers" typically have a curve, and are only about two inches long.  The back ends frequently are irregular, from being snapped.  Yet, the tips frequently show signs of chipping, nicks, scratches, cuts, blunting, etc, that are indicative of indirect percussion work.  So, how could such a small object have been used in indirect percussion?

Well, I think that my work, along with Grinnell's notes, give a plausible explanation.  Also, if a flake is really small, the process can be used start to finish, to make a point.  But, if the point is larger, then the process can be used to create a very sharp edge.  In the latter case, it would be the flakes that are in between heavy punch work, or hammerstone work, and pressure flaking.   

AncientTech

Here is the point, before getting down to the cut tine tip flaker.  Here are a few outrepasse overshot removals.  This one is an early stage tine-based outrepasse made off of the tip.  I love this outrepasse flake.  It looks like it could have grown wings, and flown away:

AncientTech

Here is a later stage outrepasse overshot removal, with one fragment refit.  Note the difference between an early stage removal, and a late stage removal: