Author Topic: bbo . . . tiller review  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
bbo . . . tiller review
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:57 pm »
This bbo is 66" long. Deflexed out of handle and just a bit of reflex. At full draw, but still need to reduce couple #'s.

Impression is that top limb needs bit more bend @ mid third. Whatcha think?

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: bbo . . . tiller review
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:57 pm »
Looking on my phone knoll it looks close I think I'd agree with your observation. Seems like if you gotta take some off that's the spot
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:34:26 pm »
Yeah, it's pretty subtle, but I think you're right.
Just rounding off edges will prob' drop a tad.
Looks like it will bang out an arrow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
I agree with the other posts Mike
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »
These limbs have been bit odd in that top limb has always appeared a bit stiff. But if I get it bending better then amount of negative tiller increases to almost an inch.
It is definitely the fastest bow I've had.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:44:36 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:23:59 am »
With so little reflex added your tiller will appear more elliptical than some RD bows would that have, say 3-4" of reflex added. I have one very similar in design, with a bit more reflex, but not much. I agree with your summation. Quite speedy and stupid smooth. I'll bring it to Marshall for comparison.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:45:59 am »
Is there an advantage to having deflex combined with very little reflex?  Does it keep the wood fresher rather than arriving at that profile through set? I would expect it to be a bit slower because of the lack of reflex and possibly string tension at brace. I havnt delved into the deflexed bows yet, so I'm curious.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:03 pm »
I think fresh wood can be faster than reflexed wood. So yes, a bow that has tips behind its handle, that started behind its handle, can easily shoot faster than a bow that has tips in front of its handle 2" that may have started in front of its handle 5 or 6". i.e. whooped out wood. Deflex equals smooth, that's my biggest attraction to the design. Done right you barely notice that string hit home. Hard to equal that with a straight reflexed bow. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:27:14 pm »
Until this one, my bows have been pyramid profiles. So more of elliptical tiller is new adventure. Have been surprised how smooth it is even at this rough state of completion.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 01:13:16 pm »
Are tou bringing this one to Marshall Mike, I'm bringing my boo osage r/d with around 2" reflex we can compair the two
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »
Yes, I am. Hopefully can get some assist with fashioning a great locator grip handle!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:59:47 pm »
could someone show me an example of a bow with tips behind the handle shooting faster than a bow with tips in front of the handle,, I have never understood that,, I am from old school where the  finished profile dictates the performance,,?? I understand the concept , but have never seen it in real life,,Marcs bows shoot pretty fast, and I don't think I have seen any with tips behind the handle,, for example

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 06:27:55 am »
It all depends on how far ahead of the handle those tips started. Just because they stayed in front of the handle doesn't make it healthy. It just means you added enough to fight off the abuse and have a squeak left over in the end. I don't own a chrony and never will. I cant prove crap. I just make a lot and shoot a lot and rely on my instincts and feel to describe what is going on with each bow and why. I have a trilam that is behind the handle, yet took very little set. I bet it shoots faster than a lot of reflexed bows in its range. Id bet the bow on it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 07:10:26 am »
I'm with you Brad, smoother yes for sure, faster, not so sure. By the way looks pretty good to me Knoll. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
Good looking bow so far Knoll.Like the way those kind shoot too.Are you at your draw length and weight with it in the picture though?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed