Author Topic: Cane harvest discussion  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Cane harvest discussion
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:48:36 am »
Years ago while reading Al Heron's book, he discussed harvesting only culms(canes) from male cane plants. For him it is a traditional thing with his Cherokee heritage. I never really considered this while harvesting cane, only getting cane that is mature and the correct size for shafts.
 Lets see where this discussion takes us.........
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Cane harvest discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:00:40 am »
Well probably the first question is how do you tell the difference?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »
I don't know about cane per say but most male plants have pedals and pollen, females have stigma and ovaries. Some plants are self pollinators corn the male parts the tassel, flowers drops pollen on the female parts the silk and shunt. The pollen travels though silks and fertilize's ovaries which develope into cobs. Not sure why they would only harvest males but one male could probably fertilize many females. They may be stiffer if they have a big tassel on top but my guess would be to keep Their plants re multiplying
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 01:37:17 pm »
I would think that the traditional reason would be the (perceived) obvious strength advantage of male over female. (As I run for cover)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 01:48:13 pm »
it could be something as simple as a superstition, they were very a superstitious people (in the old ways). I believe enough so that we may never make heads or tails of some of the stuff they did.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »
That may be true Ed but they also understood plants and nature pretty good, then again DC could be right ;)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »
perceived & superstition could be about the same thing in this instance. IMHO, Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:09 pm »
If I remember correctly the females have small branches down the shoot and males mostly at the top. Personally, I cut any mature culms of the right size and haven't noticed any difference but I wasn't looking for a difference either.
 DC tell that to those 2 new female Navy Seals or heavy weight lifters.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:05 pm »
That's why I'm running for cover ;D ;D but way back then it was understood that males were stronger than females.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »
I would think that the traditional reason would be the (perceived) obvious strength advantage of male over female. (As I run for cover)
If I remember correctly the females have small branches down the shoot and males mostly at the top. Personally, I cut any mature culms of the right size and haven't noticed any difference but I wasn't looking for a difference either.
 DC tell that to those 2 new female Navy Seals or heavy weight lifters.  ;D

Or all of those mothers out there!  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »
If I remember correctly the females have small branches down the shoot and males mostly at the top.

Maybe that's the answer, fewer branches where the arrow is going to come from. If that was the question? ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 05:47:46 pm »
I've cut and use lots of cane for arrows over the last 10 years. I see no difference between male and female cane as far as arrows go.
Bamboo doesn't flower like other plants. In some cases it blooms every 100 years and when it does flower the whole colony and the species flowers and fruits at the same time then dies, not just that plant but the species. A new cane patch develops from those seeds. I'm do not know how the American canes(Arundaneria) flowers and fruits or do I know if it dies afterwards.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:08 pm »
It's quite interesting to me being a farmer. I believe sugar cane is planted as rhyzons I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong but basically pieces of roots. It then grows for several years if I'm right

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »
I know when I cut cane I look for the stuff that is about ten to twelve feet tall. I pull it over and just cut the tops out. It is usually a different color, leaning more towards a purplish green.

Pat, that's what Steve and I have been cutting at Cade's, what we call the Honey Hole of cane.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 08:22:57 am »
That's probably switch cane(A. tecta) Eddie. It also makes very good arrows.