Author Topic: Tanned Beaver Tail?  (Read 6887 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Tanned Beaver Tail?
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:30:02 am »
I've tanned a few tails but never can get them to stay soft after they dry. I use Mckinnzies tanning cream and then leather oil work them as they dry but never can get them soft like other hides I've tanned in the past. Any body point me in a different direction. Also I would like to dye then either brown or black. Any ideas on that. Thanks for input. I'm wanting to make a wallet for my self.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Tanned Beaver Tail?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »
It's a lot longer tan but vegetable or oak bark tanning will get what you want.I just usually find a way to use it as rawhide too once in a while.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:55:18 am »
It's a lot longer tan but vegetable or oak bark tanning will get what you want.I just usually find a way to use it as rawhide too once in a while.

Any particular oak for bark tanning?  May have to give this a try. I have a pretty steady supply of beaver tails.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:48 am »
Oak bark itself.Even oak leaves.I'm sure other bark works too.It's the tannins in it that do the work.It's a process.Grind the bark up and let it soak in luke warm water for a good 6 weeks.Strain the brown fluid out.Add pickling salt.Add hide for at least 5 to 6 weeks.To get more technical a PH meter run should be done on the solution.There are books out there or the internet wiil tell too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23:51 pm »
http://www.liv18thc.com/barktan.html

Just found this on the web  gonna try it on my beaver tails and 2 deer hides.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »
I made some leather using alder bark. not sure its what you want, if your after soft. You may want to try a small piece before you do that many hides. it seemed to me that the leather was pretty stiff done in the bark.
I peeled some bark off a tree, boiled it up and strained it let it cool and soaked the rawhide in it in a jar, can't remember how long, not very week maybe, but i did small strips, boot laces.  good luck and looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
Perfect Gutshot.For a few beaver tails you should'nt need too big of a container.
BowEd
Ed