Author Topic: Anybody knap one of these?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Anybody knap one of these?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 08:41:04 am »
That looks like Bay Port chert which comes from your side of the state.  Google  it and you will see where it comes from near the Thumb. The photo examples  on google does not show the circle in the rock like in your photo but I have Bay Port that looks just like your rock .   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:48:16 am by JEB »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 08:44:45 am »
Yes Jeb this chert ball was given to my cousin years ago by the owner of Bayport Limestone Quarry. Have you ever worked one of these?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

JacksonCash

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »
Wow, they got stuff like that up in bayport? That's around the corner...

I traded a big ole cannonball like that to 1442 recently. More rock that I can handle at this point.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:12 pm »
Yes Jackson , my cousin has a friend of a friend who works there suppose to be looking out for some stuff for me.

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 06:49:56 pm »
BJ if you bring some of that to Marshall I'll try to spall it down and see how it works. Should be able to give you some pointers after hitting on it a while.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 06:59:52 pm »
OK Scott I have to get in touch with my cousin he told me where he had a 5 gal bucket of the balls but went to get them and building  was locked. I have stuff I picked up from windmill road I'll bring too, it's been run through crusher but have some workable pieces. I'm sure most all of it could benefit from heat.