Author Topic: Buffalo Horn Question  (Read 5480 times)

Offline n2everythg

Buffalo Horn Question
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:02 pm »
I have a question about buff horns.
I have 2 heads buried in the ground out back. All cept for the horns anyway. Well I was out futzin in the yard and checked on 'em.... Man they reak bad when I played with em.

well when I was moving a bit of dirt round the horn I noticed it seemed loose. grabbed hold of it and twisted a bit and the outer sheath popped right off. Man it stinks. So went round and did the other 3. Now I'm guessing that if I wanted to make a powder horn this is the part that I would want to use. Is that right?

What about the inner horn? that good for anything? Wonder if it would make a good bopper for knapping.
Anybody know what I can use the inner horn for? Any ideas on how to process and clean?

Think I should cut them off at least one head now and maybe leave the other and see how it turns out?

Open to ideas here.
thanks
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Buffalo Horn Question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:29:30 pm »
Wade you do want the outer sheath for powder horns and overlays. I've never messed with the bone underneath because I've never seen them. Justin sent me the horn(sheath). Give it a try. They may make nice knife handles or overlays too.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:07:10 pm »
You only want the shell. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:49:56 pm »
here is what they look like:

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:31:44 pm »
The sheaths are good for all kinds of stuff-powder horns, tip overlays, arrow nocks, ELB nocks, knife handles, spoons, cups, salt horns, etc. I would leave those cores attached and clean the skulls up, I'd rather have a cool bleached/painted buffalo skull than a set of cut-off horn cores. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
  Yep, what Steve said. I'd dig them up and find an ant bed to put them in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:52:46 pm »
ohhh they do stink too dont they.!! i hate that smell, just like a spanish goat horn. i never do get the smell out of them, but they do make nice knocks.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive