Author Topic: Red Jasper (new broken pic added)  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Red Jasper (new broken pic added)
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
I think I found a piece of red jasper about the size of a hard ball (base ball). I'm going to try to cook it in the ground. The big question I have is should I break it down into smaller pieces before cooking? What should I do? Thanks in advance. Ed.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:16:25 pm by Ed Brooks »
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

Re: Red Jasper
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:12:53 pm »
Cooking rock in the ground is pretty much a lot of work.
With such a small quantity it may not be worth it.
I live in northern VA where there is quite a bit of jasper and I cook it in the oven.
I just cooked some coral last night for the first time. I think I have to either cook it longer or hotter.
What I would do with your nodule is split it as best you can and see if it is truly cryptocrystalline. Then put a thin piece on the burner and heat it until it turns color.
I seldom find red jasper. It is usually a yellowish color and turns red when heated.
If it looks worth cooking then get a ovenproof pot with a lid (metal) and dry sand.
Put the rock(s) in the sand in the pot. Heat at 175 for 1/2 hr. with the door of the oven slightly open to let any moisture out. then increase the temp 50 degrees every 45-60 mins. till you reach 500. Soak at 500 for 60 mins. or so then reduce the temp 50 degrees every 45 mins. or so till you reach a constant 300.
You can then turn off the oven but don't open the door for several hours 5-8 at least.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »
You should at least strike off a flake and see if it is even worth the effort. If it is all fractures, you will be glad you didn't heat treat it.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »
If it looks to be good material might think about getting it cut into slabs, I have no experience cutting stone so maybe to small or not worth the trouble to slab it.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:19:29 pm »
Thank you guys for the feed back,
Zuma thanks for the times and temps, I'll have to run that one by the wife ;), when I crack it open to see if it's cryptocrystalline. I have to ask what is cryptocrystalline? does that just mean it is a knappable rock, supports a conchoidal fracture?

Knapper, it seems to be a solid piece for the most part, I will find out when I make gravel out of it :laugh:.

Outbackbob48, I don't know anyone around with a rock saw so I will just smash it into smaller pieces, as I think this is too big to heat as is.
I find a lot of tools and flakes around here made form rock that looks like this. Thanks Again Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:45 am »
I have one.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
I have one.

VMB
Hello VMB, I have got this piece of rock in some smaller pieces now, when the weather gets better I'm going to attempt to heat it in the ground. Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:15:15 am »
Too bad u don't have a small slab saw..or a tile saw if its big enough.. Then u can get multiple pieces with least waste..then heating would be a breeze.. Good luck...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Zuma

Re: Red Jasper (new broken pic added)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
Sorry I never replied Ed ???
I brought this up for BJ
Ed your rock looked a little jasperish but I think we
can see why you never persuaded heating it >:D
A lot of the local jasper here is similar and unusable.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Red Jasper (new broken pic added)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 06:23:50 am »
Thanks Zuma, it rained yesterday might get a chance to cook some today. Have to see if I can sneek the wife's turkey roaster again. Do you think I cooked the Texas Flint to long or is it just a different critter? Maybe something else? Sure don't want to ruin this flint river it's hard enough for this old farm boy to spend good money on rocks. Lol
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise