Author Topic: Should I straighten my bow?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Martin E.

• Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day
Should I straighten my bow?
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi, all. I'm new here and am working on my first selfbow--my first bow ever!

My stick has a latteral bend in it about a foot from the end of one limb where a knot is. I was thinking of straightening it with steam and some clamps, but then I saw in the BOM pics a lot of bows with BIG waves and bends in them. Is it necessary to straighten it out?

It doesn't have any propeller. I was thinking of putting in a little reflex on it, or maybe even recurving it, and advise would be nice taking those options into account, but even if I leave it 'straight', do I need to get that sideways kink out?

Thanks so much! I've had a blast building sofar, and you all have been great inspiration to me!

-Martin
Work hard and be nice to people

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Should I straighten my bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »
Need pics. Some lateral bends are OK some should be corrected. Especially if your planning on recurving it.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:58:16 pm »
How is the string alignment? Does a string go from the center of the tips through about the middle of the handle? Pictures would be good ;D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »
If the tips align with your handle I wouldn't worry about it.
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:08:15 pm »
first off glad you have a bow started!! Secondly post some pics for proper instruction a lot of kinks and curves are fine some not
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Martin E.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:46 am »
Wow, great response time! Ok, here's the deal. It's sassafras (not the best, but for my first go-round, I'm not wasting BL or osage), 72" long. I've tried to attach the pics...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:33:16 am »
I would, I would get it to a good floor tiller first and then line everything up. It will be way of the handle if you don't. You can get away with a lot of twist and turns in the limbs as long as the tip line up across the handle and that one won't I am afraid. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:02:04 am »
My take for what it's worth. Start with the better stuff. You can straighten this I believe, but it will require some work. Start with the best stave you can get your hands on for your first one.  Much more likely to end up with a shooter with much less effort. I know that goes against the grain with what your planning but that is what I would recommend to all new bow makers.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 08:48:57 am »
Also leave the handle section full width until you have the bow braced. Once its braced you will know exactly where the string wants to sit and then you simply shape the handle to the string. Not much use to you on this one now but its one of my favourite 'tricks' with less than straight selfbows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 09:05:11 am »
Good advise above. Not sure what the best method of straightening would be best but steam is pretty universal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 10:31:59 am »
To me, those are the toughest bends to make.  I use my caul, and I have 2-2x4 chunks screwed on each side about a foot apart, so I can quickly put my freshly steamed stave in the jig and torque it which ever way I need it to go. Using a caul you can get a little reflex at the same time.
I'd probably try the area right after that big knot first. If you have some width to play with narrow the 4-6" area your trying to bend. Narrowing just that area will weaken it and make it bend a little easier.
Have your jig and all your clamps ready to go, I'd use steam

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 10:32:28 am »
I think give it a try,, its a good skill to know, how to bend the wood a bit,,
get it lined up and see how it goes,,

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:39:21 am »
My first one was a pipe straight knot free great little piece of Osage. Built in '94 or '95. Still shoots today. I had read TBB and had some hands on advice from a couple of good bow makers, but it was my work. It held together mostly because of what I started with, pipe straight knot free Osage. I learned a great deal AND walked away with a shooter. I'm a guy that says its your time, your wood and it will be your bow. Do with it what you want and enjoy it. I just see a lot of new guys reluctant to start with "the good stuff" for fear of messing it up. You might, but the odds are much greater that you walk away with a shooter if you start with that good stuff. Just food for thought.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Martin E.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 12:46:06 pm »
Thank you all so much for the advice! I will try to straighten this one with some steam, and once it's done, I can't wait to start up on a new one with better wood.
I'll post a pic of the finish on this, just so you all can know how it turned out. Thank you all for your help and encouragent!

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:33 pm »
I would try to avoid the knot area. Steam the handle or maybe above the knot. I've bent lots of bows but I've never tried bending sideways at a knot like that. Kinda gives me the willies.