Author Topic: Tiller advice  (Read 1879 times)

Offline BenBen

Tiller advice
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:14 am »
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself: I'm Benoît and I live in France; I'm in bowmaking for one year now and I'd situate my skills as intermediate, I mean I know a bunch of theoretical stuffs but I still don't know exactly how to apply them in particular situations.. ;D

This is by the way the reason of my post : I am currently working on a black locust flatbow, trapped back, aproximately 67" long. There a bit of a twist in both limbs too, but the tips are pretty well aligned with the handle. I got it to 35#@20" but I don't know how to get further. The limbs seem to bend pretty evenly, but the balance between the two limbs doesn't seem to be right, it's particulary visible as the bow is braced. Should I be worried about it ? Where should I make the bow bend a bit more ?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »
Right limb is stiffer than the left, which isn't too bad if that is the lower limb.
It's worth taking the trouble to get you tiller set up dead straight vertical and take pictures from the same point. Also worth supporting the bow where it will be supported by the hand and pull the string from where it will be pulled by your fingers.
If you support and draw from dead centre it will not look the same as when it is really used.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »
Not that it makes any difference as long as you tell us but the normal way on here seems to be top limb to the right of the picture.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:12 pm »
Ha! Excellent... just spotted the string adjuster :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BenBen

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »
Thanks for the answers, the right limb is unfortunately the upper limb, but I still have enough wood normally (I plan on getting it to 40-45#).
The tiller tree doesn't seem to be vertical cause I hung a "paper wall" behind to have an uniform background and the latter isn't horizontal (I'm gonna fiw this).
Del, I read regularly your blog (wonderful by the way :) ), so I already pull the bow on the tiller the way you do it ;)

Ben

Offline BenBen

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:30:20 pm »
Haha yes, it was a very good idea :p

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:28 pm »
The top limb (right) is too stiff from mid limb in
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:55:49 pm »
I agree with Mark...the middle third of the left limb seems a little flat as well.  You have a great start though!

Offline Dmead

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
I agree as well you have a great start!  And great bow wood choice! As others have said the upper limb mid section back to fade needs attention.  But stay clear of the outer portion of that limb as it appears to have a weak spot/possible hinge starting. At least that's what I'm seeing in the drawn photo. Best of luck with it black locust makes for a fast one!

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 02:39:05 am »
Yep. Right limb. fades to mid limb'ish are a wee bit stiff.

Offline BenBen

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 04:29:37 am »
Thank you for all those answers, I'll ease off this area then ;) I checked the bow this morning and the set dropped to virtually no set  :D
I might heat treat it a second time if it takes any. I'll post pictures of the finished bow in the course of August as I leave at the end of the week and I will only come back in 2 months ;).