Author Topic: Horn for horn nocks (tips)  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Strichev

Horn for horn nocks (tips)
« on: July 16, 2016, 06:20:52 am »
What sort of horns do you use for ELB horn nocks? I've been looking at cow horns over here but all of them are hollow all the way to the very tip - not exactly the sort of horn I see people use here. Should I be looking for a special cow breed with especially thick horn walls? Water buffalo horns?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Horn for horn nocks (tips)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:58:37 am »
As far as domestic cattle goes, BULL horns have more solid material near the tip than COW(female) horns do. Ask your local butchers to save any bull horns for you. Most will.

If you don't want to wait, you can buy horn on the big auction site. I have bought water buffalo horn in both solid 'slabs' about 3/4" thick, and 'tips'. The tips work better for English longbow types. Do a search there for "buffalo solid rough horn".
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:26 am »
  I sometims use bull horns instead of water buffalo. Only the tips of course. lately I have tried using this two part epoxy than comes in sticks like candy bars. I mix the two together and shape it on the end of the bow and I can't even tell the difference from my bows that I used the real horn on. Not sure how it would work on the more fancy horn nocks that have the long skinny tip sticking out.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 11:19:45 am »
Our pet stores stock small Water Buffalo horns as dog chews. Lots of material in the tips for tips.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:29:11 pm »
I use Waterbuffalo horn, but the same stuff seems to get called cow horn sometimes ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
  I sometims use bull horns instead of water buffalo. Only the tips of course. lately I have tried using this two part epoxy than comes in sticks like candy bars. I mix the two together and shape it on the end of the bow and I can't even tell the difference from my bows that I used the real horn on. Not sure how it would work on the more fancy horn nocks that have the long skinny tip sticking out.

Can I get some more information on this material???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:48:07 pm »
Do you think you could blend some colour into it to make it look like striped horn? I like working with real horn but lord it stinks. :o :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 08:28:45 pm »

Can I get some more information on this material???

A+B black epoxy putty, $14.95     it will pop up on a search

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 10:26:57 pm »
I don't know about Ranchers outside of Florida but the ones here will Pole their Heifers when the horns start to get sharp. Doing that , they just cut off the sharp end and throw it away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?