Author Topic: egg tanned bobcat  (Read 23083 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

egg tanned bobcat
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »
i finnished up tanning a road killed bobcat, i was driving at work and saw it on the side of the road and very fresh. no sense in letting it go to waiste. i used eggs because the brains were still on the road. unfortunatly the head far far too unusable and it tore some holes in the legs. but here it is, just figured i would share it fr whats its worth.    also it turned out very soft and supple for the majority, the legs are just a bit papery but not bad at all.- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline wolfsire

Re: egg tanned bobcat
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:03 pm »
Nice looking pelt you got there.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:51:31 pm »
good lookin tan and nice cat. you guys got a good pop. of cats down there?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:58:18 pm »
Man, nice tan job dude! I need to learn how to do that :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:15:00 am »
nice save

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:40 am »
what a beautiful quiver that would make.  i'm glad you took it.  it always tears me up when i see animals wasted along the road.  in germany it's considered pouching, if you pick it up (what a stupid law) so we have to let it go to waste and i hate that.  >:(

PS: do you think we could talk you into a "tan-allong" the next time you find something like that?

keekeerun

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:34 am »
very nice, as stated above that would make a nice quiver.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:44 am »
Looks like you did a great job on it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:38 am »
Nice, here in Michigan you would be a criminal for picking up roadkill like that especially bobcat :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:33 am »
Man, that's crazy (the roadkill laws) what a waste. Here it's thou shalt not take any part of a roadkilt deer :D, anything else is fair game - oh except for all the hawks with purty feathers laying everywhere >:( >:(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:00:05 am »
Oh yeah - I second the motion that you should do a tan along Ryan :). Would be very useful to us that haven't seen or read about it..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:11:12 pm »
I third the tan along I have something in my freezer that needs tanning, can't say what :-X :-X :-X
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »
Very nice!  I'm jealous.

Roadkill is mostly off limits to us in Texas.  I've talked to fish & game and we might be able to get away with possession of SOME fur-bearing animals if we have a hunting or trappers license.....during the right season.....and if the animal is not on the rabies watch list.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:04:46 pm »
Very nice tan job.  Would make a great quiver. 
Here you cannot pick up any game animal parts unless you have a license for that species.  I picked up a bobcat back when the prices were high and got $500 for a road kill.  :-* Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:25 pm »
Hey Patrick: The way I understand it in TX is anything but deer is OK as long as your taking it for your own use and not selling it. Read that in the book but haven't talked to any wardens. I pick up anything I want as long as it's fresh :).