Author Topic: egg tanned bobcat  (Read 23081 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: egg tanned bobcat
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:38:51 pm »
I pick up anything I want as long as it's fresh :).

That could be construed in the wrong manner Paul >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:40 pm »
 ;D ;D
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:45 pm »
hey thanks alot all, i didnt expect to get much feedback from this...lol  to be honest i dont know what the roadkill laws are here. bobcats were and still are in season here and i posses the needed liscensing to harvest one so i figured all is good to pick up roadkil, and to be honest it aint illegal unless you get caught. i try and follow al the rules but there is no sense in letting a beautiful animal go to waiste, but who knows it may have been legal, i have been picking up roadkill since i was 16  ...lol i never got stopped.  foxes and bears and the panthers are the only major things off limits but the law had stated that you could be in possesion of roadkilled foxes if you have a taxidermy liscense which we do. but im sure they would love to rough me all up over that, so i havent picked ne up in years, but i will if i see a red fox.  they are about as rare as bobcats down here.
        huntertrapper- our population around here is decent for sub urban living. obviously ihavent seen any in town but i have seen 3 this year since jan 1st, one was the one i picked up and the other 2 were alive, but i think they may be breeding now. i dont hardly ever see them except for dec, jan, & feb.   perhaps that is the reason for the increase in sightings

as far as a tan-along whenever i am ready to do another i'll keep you al informed in the process, i have a bobcat from last year stilll in the freezer so maybe i'll do that one or perhaps a coon.  it usually takes me the better part of a week to tan one. from skin to tan but i dont like to get burnt out on it either.       i really want  a beaver, otter, 2 or 3 muskrats or a nutria to tan so i can have some fur silencers. but we dont have them down here except for otter and they are outa season come friday and i havent seen one on the road in a looooong time
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cowboy

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:03:22 pm »
I just grabbed three beavers about two weeks ago. One was worth skinning the other two I just took the tails. Now if I only knew how to tan that hide ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:53 pm »
Cowboy....I've known folks here who pick up roadkill (including deer antlers) with no problems.  As for me, I won't take that chance.....seems there's a magic beacon on my head - whenever I stop on a shoulder all the law enforcement in the area converge on me.  Last time it took less than a minute...I was just trying to unfold a map and get my bearings!  >:(
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:28 pm »
Jack I'm sure they just wanted to help a citizen out. ;D

Michigan you can pick up road kill if its season and have the appropriate license.
Bobcat would have to be checked in at the DNR office and they will seal the pelt, of course you run the
chance of being accused of killing it then :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:22:01 pm »
Dana, I'm sure you're right. ;)

Texas is funny, though......you can't buy wild turkey feathers on the internet but you can shoot a mountain lion on sight, any time of day, year round!

Presently Texas regulations allow for the management of lion populations and lions may be controlled year-round. -  Texas Parks and Wildlife

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:49 pm »
hey jackcrafty, send me one of those lion hides and i'll do the tan-along ;) ;D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cowboy

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33:54 pm »
I hear ya Pat. I have this phobia about taking a whizz on the side of the road (even when it's late and thiers silence) seems like some kind of officer will materialize out of thin air (everytime). Learned that in my early twenties ;D.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
Twistedlimbs....I'll keep it in mind.... >:D
Maybe Cowboy will act as bait.....he'll attract the mountain lion when taking a wizz by the side of the road and I'll run it over!  Then we can all take pictures (standing on the lion) with the state trooper who was hiding in the bushes!

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:09 pm »
Hahahaha ;D ;D. Sounds like a plan Hehheh....

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »
twisted limbs. i have muskrat its not fleshed but its salted. ??? if that would mess ya up? it has a few holes because a beaver attacked it while it was in our trap. but if you are gonna make it into silencers it should be okay. if you wanna do a trade just get back to me.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 11:07:58 pm »
  I pick up bobcats and especially river otters all the time. A few years ago I got 3 deer in two weeks. I saw them all get hit. And thats not counting the gobbler I got with the Jeep last year. When it comes to deer and road kill, Florida has 1-800-road-kil.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 11:15:47 pm »
yeah when its cold here and theres a deer layin we get the thing. or coons or fox or yotes in trappin season.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 11:38:21 pm »
  I've been trying to get a yote for years. Whenever I see one ,no gun. Or the ones on the road are too ripe. I tried to run one down at work the other day, had the little suckers tongue hanging and had to lock the brakes up when I came to a pipeline crossing,  ;Djust missed him.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?