Author Topic: My first successful bow  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: My first successful bow
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »
That's a good looking first bow, and a high weight, my first many came in under 35!

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 02:11:21 am »
Nicely done. It's not easy to work out problems when you are just starting.
How come there is a millstone in your picture? Are you in the Peak?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:32 am »
Thank you everyone. It shoot nice but that deflex is really bothering me everytime I see it unstrung. I'll start a new one soon.

How come there is a millstone in your picture? Are you in the Peak?

Peak millstone? I had to google that one.  :D That's actually not a millstone, it's really thin (somewhere around 5 cm or so).  Made from a single piece of stone it was used for crushing fruit in preparation for the making of cider, rakia, apple vinegar and such. It stood vertically in a carved out log and was rolled back and forth to crush the fruit. I'm always amazed how they managed to chisel it out without the stone cracking - especially because it's so thin. One can still see the chisel marks.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 05:00:14 am »
Very nice bend on that one, welcome and looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:51 am »
Looks great.  Well done and welcome to PA.
1’—>1’

Offline Dmead

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 03:12:05 pm »
Beautiful first bow! Be proud of it, and no worries on the deflex..some just turn out that way. You found the bow within that piece of wood that to most..would have been firewood! I have two very similar to yours..one is my first bow ever made as well ...and it has more than 20,000 arrows through it..all sapwood erc elb. Still a sweet shooter.
The other was a gift to my Father for his 60th bday. I actually named it firewood. Lol. HIs was more like yours. It had twist and a bad split from the start, but is still shooting today. One can learn excellent lessons from tackling difficult wood.
Yes as others have stated, be proud to call this your first bow. Everything from here will be easier for you. From the pictures as far as I can tell you followed the undulations in the back beautifully. NIcely done!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 10:18:23 pm »
Good work for a new workman!  It would be good work for a journeyman bowyer, sir!!!

I look forward to seeing more of your efforts, and welcome to our community!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.