Author Topic: FF question ?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Stick Bender

FF question ?
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:19:50 am »
Well I finished up three hunting bows over winter & spring with little time over summer months I would like to spend my time making strings & hunting arrows & shooting  wanted to try FF string but don't know much about it ,do you make it the same as B50 or any advice would be appreciated ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

Re: FF question ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »
You can make it the same way just with less strands. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
I use d-97 and up to 65# use 10 strands and add a few 8 in pcs to pad the nocks on selfnocks
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:32:05 pm »
what OO and bubby said.............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »
I prefer FF over B-50 for any bow over 40# or so. The lack of stretch is just great, makes stringing so much easier. One thing I've noticed though is that FF strings seem to get mauled more by the use of a timber hitch, and it slips a bit more too. I usually make loops in both ends with FF, but if I don't I make the timber hitch with at least 3 rotations.

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:05:41 am »
I prefer FF over B-50 for any bow over 40# or so. The lack of stretch is just great, makes stringing so much easier. One thing I've noticed though is that FF strings seem to get mauled more by the use of a timber hitch, and it slips a bit more too. I usually make loops in both ends with FF, but if I don't I make the timber hitch with at least 3 rotations.
...No way you can actually notice the stretch just when stringing? So a Dacron string is significantly shorter than a FF string for a given bow with the same draw length? I don't really believe it... though I only have the same length string both Dacron and FF for a 50" or so endless string for a 45-50# short bow.
You sure you're not using nylon? :p

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:14:29 am »
loon twist up a b50 string and a ff string, now string it with the ff and check the brace in 2 min. Now do the same with the b50, untill it is well stritched you can see it stretch and will either have to brace it real hi to get your brace at first or twist it up several times till it stops. You also don't get wrist slap with ff like you do with b50 because ff don't stretch

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:07 am »
loon twist up a b50 string and a ff string, now string it with the ff and check the brace in 2 min. Now do the same with the b50, untill it is well stritched you can see it stretch and will either have to brace it real hi to get your brace at first or twist it up several times till it stops. You also don't get wrist slap with ff like you do with b50 because ff don't stretch

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:19 am »
B-50 is garbage compared to any of the ff materials....  i had to say it. Try ff and you will never go back, i promise you. If you don't think b-50 stretches than you've never tried others

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 01:56:05 am »
yeah, it was pre-stretched...

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:02:56 am »
Paulsemp +1 :)

Loon, that is exactly what I mean. I may not be doing it right, but I've tried everything I can think of to "pre stretch" B-50 strings to get the stretch done with, including an imaginative use of time, body weight and cars. But some stretch always remains. Even my ancient B-50 tiller strings "curl up", and they've been through a lot! FF is a completely different animal. It may stretch a little the first couple times you string your bow with it, but from then on it's like you're stringing your bow with steel wire – no stretch whatsoever! If you're making war bows, this quality is almost indispensable.

Another thing I'd like to point out with FF. It's substantially more expensive per 1/4 pound than B-50 (4 times more expensive or so?). But because FF is lighter per length, and so much stronger so you don't use as many threads per string, the number of strings you actually get from one 1/4 pound roll is far greater than for a roll of B-50. That's my experience anyway. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 08:01:46 am »
+1 Frodolf & bubby.Been shooting FF for years and shot B50 before too.Frodolf is exactly right about it being a little more slick in a timber hitch.I use a FF string for a long string tillering.It's done dozens and dozens of bows.
Stickbender....FF plus of 9 strands 3 ply or 10 of 2 ply will serve your bows there.From 3 Rivers is my source for string.You've got a chronograph bud.Shoot through there with the same arrow and different strings.See what ya get once.Flight bow shooters will go even less strands yet.
On bows with extreme amount of reflex like horn bows etc. B50 might be the better choice though.Tips could bust.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 08:50:28 am »
Ok thanks guys I appreciate it I picked up a roll from 3 R  FF Plus its kinda a funky color construction green but dont think the dear & pigs will mind got it about half price on clise out so I will try to get some made up before I tune out my arrows &  chrony with B50 & then FF & post & thanks Ed I will try the 2 ply 10 Im hoping to lower the brace & shoot heaver arrows out of the cherokee war bow for pigs  with out lossing to much speed
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:51 am »
I've never used anything but FF so I can't speak to the difference but I had a lot of slippage(I won't call it stretch) with FF and Flemish twist. I used a Flemish loop on one end and a timber hitch on tother. The string would slowly get longer. Every 2 or 3 hundred shots I had to retie the hitch. I was using Gordon's double wrap and 4 loops. I finally decided I would use a loop on both ends. That opened another can of worms getting the string the right length. Finally got the length right and after a couple or three hundred shot my brace height started to go down. Somehow the loops were slipping. I didn't want to use an endless string as they somehow strike me as less primitive or something ::) ::) Anyway I finally went to the dark side and made an endless string. I no longer have string issues.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »
ok,, I put super glue on the timber hitch, and tie a knot behind it as well,, that seems to work pretty good,,